Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems Using Fine Cut 8 and RasterLink 5.

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by Brian S. Roe, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Brian S. Roe

Brian S. Roe New Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hi everyone,

I'm using a Mimaki CjV30-100 with Fine Cut 8 and RasterLink 5. I can print or I can cut but not on the same image.

When I output to RasterLink it sends two files to the hot folder but when I try to use the cut command, all of the cut options are grayed out.

And when I try to use the crop marks to cut with Fine Cut, the plotter seems unable to find the marks.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet Merchant Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    In Rasterlink 5 the cut options are grayed out until you RIP the file. So if you just RIP the file first it should unlock those options. Cut after immediate print should be available all of the time though. Check your RIP settings. I think the default is to delete the ripped data after printing. If that is the case, this will gray out your cut settings again. So as long as RIP data exists, you should be able to cut only.

3. Brian S. Roe

Brian S. Roe New Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks for the response.

But they're still grayed out even after ripping and printing. It's actually saving both actions as print files only so I never get the option to use the cut command.

4. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet Merchant Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    When you send the job through FineCut, did you select which layer is the print layer and which is the cut path? Your design file should have at least 2 layers with the print data in one and the cut in the other. Then when you send from FineCut, you can select which one prints and which one cuts.

I prefer to not use FineCut for print cut jobs. I just create a spot color called, "CutContour" capital c's no spaces. Then set the cut path to that color and save as an EPS or PDF. Open the file directly in Rasterlink and it will see the print/cut job for you. Then everything should work fine.

5. Brian S. Roe

Brian S. Roe New Member

Oct 5, 2018
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As a test piece I used the Extract Frame command just to be sure that I had a separate cut path. And when it went into the second window it showed one layer as print and one as cut. But then when I send it to Rasterlink, it's still not letting me cut.

When you print/cut out of FineCut do you need to use the register marks? I'm not able to get the plotter to read those either.

6. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We use the same setup but different work flow. We set up all our prints and cuts within Corel. When we go to cut we pull up the corel file and use the FineCut plugin to plot. Same if using illustrator too. It's a lot easier to troubleshoot that way too. 1 layer for design, 1 layer for reg marks and 1 layer for cut. Since we use several workstations throughout the shop we don't have to tie up the RIP as long to set anything up. Just set it all up and drop in the hot folder for the print tech. Once the print is ready we then open the corel file using the RIP station and go.

7. holmeswake

holmeswake New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Minnesota
    If you are still having an issue I might be able to help you troubleshoot it. I use Illustrator, Finecut 8 and Rasterlink and get good results.