• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with Agfa Jeti 1224 HDC / Onyx

clstore

Hi guys,

I bought an Agfa jeti 1224 HDC printer couple of months ago and I am still in the process of testing it to it's full potential.
I encountered a problem that I can't solve, maybe you can help me :

When I try printing light pantone colors (on any material: coroplast, foam, aluminum,etc) the print comes out with "noise" (small little white dots).
I went to another company who has the exact same machine and uses onyx and I made a sample ...

I attached to this thread the 2 samples that i printed .... on the left side is the sample I made at another company and on the right side is the sample I printed in our shop ... you can clearly see the difference.

I am thinking it's something to do with the onyx ... but I can't figure out what exactly ...I made tests with our profiles, made new profiles, I bought an i1 to color match .... same result (light pantone colors have small white dots ..)

Can somebody help me please ....

P.S. - Full solid colors like black, red, yellow, etc come out just fine.

Attachments

• agfa jeti 1224 sample print.jpg
    agfa jeti 1224 sample print.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 2 samples.jpg
    2 samples.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 109

Correct Color

From what I'm seeing in your images, I'd guess the problem is most likely profile-related.

Remember that what any RIP does is to convert pixel information into dot information using information provided in profiles. And it is certainly possible to create or alleviate graininess issues in creating profiles. Particularly in Onyx.

And keep in mind the fact that you made new profiles and it didn't solve the problem could very likely mean that in creating new profiles, you just didn't address whatever issue is causing the problem.

If it isn't profiles, then my second guess would be that what you're seeing is graininess caused by some kind of printhead alignment issue.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

clstore

Regarding the print head alignment .... all the tests are perfect ....

I was thinking it's something from the Onyx ProductionHouse but I can't figure out what exactly ...
I even took profiles from other company's just to see if it makes a difference ... but the result was the same ...
(2 different profiles from 2 different company's)
Light pantone colors come out with the white dots ...

Profiles made for Jetti 1224 HDC of cours ...

davecich

I don't see white on top of colors. If the profile is the same as the other customer, it is either an alignment issue (80%), or head and temperature issue.

Dave

davecich

I don't see white on top of colors. If the profile is the same as the other customer, it is either an alignment issue (80%), or head and temperature issue.

Dave

Or, make sure you are running the same driver in the software. Different drivers can cause this.

parrott

Is the difference in the droplet size (variable)? To me the smaller the dot the smoother the print. It appears to be a larger droplet being printed on the right. We had a problem like this occur years back on a roll to roll machine. It happened when our rip/software was updated and caused an increase in the dot size. We ended up reverting back to the older software for a higher quality print. I may be crazy, but its a thought.

AlsEU

I think the graininess in your samples comes from the profile. Your profiles were created onsite or you just got generic profiles from the printer/ink supplier? Sometimes you need to play with drop sizes in profiles to remove such artefacts.
Check also, if Onyx allow to print without one hardware colour? Maybe you could trace, which channel creates the problem.

clstore

I'm 90% sure the problem is with the onyx ProductionHouse 12 ..... but i don't know exactly what ...
I don't have this problem with solid colors (black blue yellow red etc). Only with light pantone colors ....
All the profiles that i have i got them from other company's that have the exact same printer (Agfa Jeti 1224 HDC) and this use the same software that i use (onyx 12).
+ I made my own profiles just to see if it's a difference .... and everything comes out the same (with the white dots).
Maybe i didn't do the profiles correctly .... some settings in dot pattern maybe .... but the other profiles that i have from the other comany's should work ok (unfortunately the print comes out the same ..)
I even looked at the pantone color chart provided by onyx to see if they match with the pantone colors that i have in my PC ...

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Unidirection

I'm the one that provided the initial profiles.
I'm curious to know if you printed it unidirectional if the problem goes away?
I'd be interested in the profile the other company uses to see if it compares to the ones I have.
Because if they figured out how to make it print in grayscale/varyiable dot mode, I would be very interested.
AGFA keeps telling me I can't.
Let me know
Jeremy