• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with black

N Design

We have a Colorspan 72uvx in the shop for almost a year and have yet to get black to consistently print black. Most of the time there ends up being a dirty yellow banding about every 6 inches. File says that it is black and have tried numerous pms swatches for files. Only thing that seems to work is on High Quality-Fine Text-Uni Directional. Gets to be too slow. Any thoughts on how to solve issue.

GK

Chances are, your profiling for the machine/material is off. Do a custom profile and see if it gets better.

GK

Sorry, didn't really explain that one much...you are saying your black is a dirty yellow...probably a muddy looking color correct? maybe a hint of green in there as well. Your printer is trying to figure out how to replicate the black color that your computer is sending to the printer...except the ink limits are most likely off as well as the color profiling for this machine and the material you are using. You can do a custom profile which will most likely resolve this issue and straighten your colors out for consistent results each time.

jc1cell

I have a similar problem right now with my blacks.... I have a nice rich black in my files and ...BAM!!!!... once I print I get a dull very dark gray. Fiddling for a solution one day I noticed that the cmyk build for the black is generated poorly by the profile.

I went ahead and started modifiying my colors on the RIP side in wasatch ( I don't have in house profiling yet to adjust or re-profile) and realized that the color is generated based on the ink limit set. The more of the CMY the less K and the muddier it looked. So I went the opposite way. I set my K to 100 and let the CMY fall evenly as high as possible. Now I get beautifull blacks but only on my vectors. Using this option on pixel files gives out very nasty results unless there are no other shades of blackola.

This is how i deal with it....may not be the best way but it's how I figured it for me.

jc

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
with the flatbeds you need to be careful with how much total ink youre putting down as well. we had an issue with not enough cure energy and the black flaked off in areas. Be careful and check your MAX INK settings. We actually have ours at 200-220% Total. (meaning all 4 inks combined would only equal 200-220%). Our reds and blacks have never been better now!