• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with decals on vehicle windows

Futura Signs

Recently I have had vehicles come back with decals falling off windows. I am using Avery silver metallic (sticks to anything)
Have contacted the manufacturer thinking the vinyl had gone bad. They sent me new stock. Did'nt help. I have heard car washes are using Rain X products. Have tried scrubbing the windows with methol alcohol. Helps some. Have been in business for 23 years so I'm not new to the game.
Anyone else with this problem...sure would like some feedback.

Christine

WB

I know rain X is an option here in some car washes. I think I remember someone on here actually contacted Rain X and asked them what to use to remove the product. Maybe you could try a search and see if you can find it. Alchol might not do the trick, might need something stronger. Is the whole sticker falling off or are pieces and chunks coming off?

Futura Signs

It seems after rain or snow they fall off. One customer woke up the next morning and all the decals were on the ground. Another one only some of the decals fell off.

letterman7

Hadn't heard the Rain-X thing before, but then i don't use car washes, either. Try prepping the window with an acetone wash (careful with the car finish), wipe a couple times with new rags each time and follow it up with alcohol. And I think I read somewhere that new auto glass (2000 and up) was made with a surfactant built into the glass to help keep it clean... but I can't verify that.

WB

Maybe you should try a sample on our own car or shop window..

Just noticed your from Riverview.. I'm in Freddy

speedmedia

It isn't an Avery problem only. I had this same problem with a vehicle this past year. This guy develops some sort of gun cleaner that has a mixed use for a super powerful window cleaner / treatment as well as stainless steel treatment. Put some logos on his Jeep and they literally fell off. Must be good stuff!!! I cleaned everything with denatured alcohol before and it didn't strip it. We are still trying to find out a solution.

Thanks,
Kurt

Jillbeans

As much as I hate Avery, refuse to use their products, and want to blame them, I actually think it has something to do with the snow.
Someone on UKSignboards had the same problem with vehicle lettering after snow had been allowed to lay on the windows for awhile. It wasn't caused by an ice scraper. The lettering simply fell off the windows.
I know that's not much help.
Love....Jill

curtrnev

Spray some water on the window with a hose not a bottle and see if it beads or sheets, if it sheets it is probably clean.

Rooster

Call 3M. They have tested a number of products on the newer car windows and will be able to recommend a product to remove the coatings from the glass. They mentioned the problem in a class I took, but for the life of me I can't remember their recommendations.

signage

You could also see a problem with the adhesives not reaching the proper temperature to get the correct adhesion if the temperatures never reach the manufactures minimum temperatures!

Futura Signs

Hey guys...thanks for all the suggestions...
I bought some Bon Ami and also found a silicone and adhesive remover "Remov" at a local hardware store. I asked the clerk for a silicone remover and he suggested coke.
Haven't tried that one yet but you never know...as a last result.
I'm bound and determined to solve this problem

signmeup

It seems after rain or snow they fall off. One customer woke up the next morning and all the decals were on the ground. Another one only some of the decals fell off.
This is exactly the problem I am having with a single van. I've redone it 3 times now. The last time I took a power buffer and a can of Bon Ami and power buffed the crap out of the glass. Then I cleaned it with alcohol etc. The lettering fell off the next time it snowed and melted. Oracal cast vinyl this time. This is a 2000 Dodge Caravan. I told the customer that there is something wrong with the glass and I couldn't redo the decals any more.

signmeup

You could also see a problem with the adhesives not reaching the proper temperature to get the correct adhesion if the temperatures never reach the manufactures minimum temperatures!
That ain't it....I did it in my shop and it's heated to 72 degrees. I think there's something going on with how the glass is made. Some sort of uber mold release. It may only affect the first or 2nd piece of glass off the mold so the problem is rare maybe?

Actually I had a problem with applying vinyl to a couple of cold trucks recently. (These were factory fresh trucks.) They ran the trucks inside from minus 10 degrees and after maybe ten minutes I did the lettering on the wind deflectors. It must have had condensation form under it because it partially blew off out on the road. Or maybe I'll be seeing them again too.............