• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems with printers

shakey0818

I find that so many people are having so many problems with their printers.I also see some posts that people have no problems with theirs.Is it that some haven't been properly trained to use thhem or do not have that much experience with printers,or is it that they do not clean and care for their equiptment as they should.?I see people spending tons of money fixing them or trying to replace parts.If these machines are that sensitive why not just sub it all out and help another sign man out and eliminate the stress of maintenance costs.

Custom_Grafx

I think preventative maintenance is a big player, as well as knowing some basics about the technical aspect of your machine.

Dealers offer good support, but understandably they can only give you so much info/knowledge without you pushing for more.

You also find that on this site, there are many who opt for a cheaper second hand alternative, which offers no dealer support. These buyers are also the more cost conscious, who are reluctant to pay for proper tech support and think that everything can be fixed in house.

Although this may be true for some people, it is not the case for the majority of users, and can be a costly learning curve for the others.

In other words, if more people read their manuals, followed procedure, used trained technicians where required and had more knowledge about the whole process overall, there wouldn't be so many problems.

Recently I went to a print production training session run by 3M. The parts I already knew about were great anyway as it's always good to have a refresher, and I also learnt a few new things as well which gave me more of an appreciation in regards to what one should expect from their printer/media combo.

MikePro

shoot. go to an automotive forum and you'll see nothing but "how to this and that" for the DIY'rs out there.
most definately tho', preventative maintenance is key. my 60" printer ran solid for 4 years with no issues, as I gave it a good cleaning multiple times during the week, kept the area clean, and only put clean media through it. The fact still remains, its a 5-figure piece of equipment with expensive parts that operate it and something's gonna fail eventually. Just like a car. Xept its car thats supposed to make you $$$.

So no matter what you do, getting it back up and running asap is always in your best interest... and money should be saved along the way to make sure you can. Proper knowledge about your gear will allow you to save a few (100/1000) bucks, but many people still call techs to come and that's just fine too.
... but boy do I love knowing that I can repair/replace nearly every piece of my machine. Being a UPS delivery away from a working machine is pretty comforting.