• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problems with red?

ABBOTARTDEPT

anyone here have problems achieving a good bright red? mine is close, but is has no luster. its as if i have a tad of cyan mixed, but i dont. all black is remived. not sure if its my profile or how i have it mixed (last change is 100% Y / 97% magenta). the more i raise the magenta the more it looks like there is blue mixing. using a mimaki jv3 160. printing on white gloss banner stock. anyone know of a good profile to recommend for banner stock?

ABBOTARTDEPT

yeah. the color probs reside with flexi. if i print directly from the production manager i dont have this problem. if you dont get a "just right" profile flexi runs home to momma when it comes to color gamut.

thewood

I don't think we can blame Flexi for this. I use the Flexi RIP, and I print the brightest, most vibrant reds you'll ever want to see. It sounds like a profile issue.

judead

alright I have a mimaki jv3-160S

i have cmyk orange green from the original owner. I cannot get red. I can get close, but at best it has a pink hue. Should I change the ink back to cmyk light cyan and light magenta?

Thanks

mark in tx

You need to have proper profiles made.

Period.
End of story.

You can futz around all day with trying different mixtures of CMYK, or RGB values, and get something you can live with, only to have to start all over again the next day, with Red again, or a different color.

Or you can get proper profiles made, and not waste your time, material, ink, and money trying to hit a basic color.

www.correctcolor.org is who I use and swear by.

gabagoo

I have a Mimaki and I run Flexi, I have found to get a really nice red I run the machine 1440 x 720. I too need to start learning how to do profiles as yesterday I could hardly get a decent yell,ow and orange is out of the question. What is the easiest learning software for profiling?

mark in tx

Profiling your workflow takes software and hardware, for about $1400.00 an X-rite Eye-one Extreme will do the job, but, learning to properly profile takes time and a lot of practice.
The same 1400 bucks(or less) is well spent on someone who already does profiling professionally.

LittleSnakey

Here's what I use, Roland VP540, Flexi 8.6, Arlon 4560gtx profile.
RGB
R=167
G=25
B=48
Matches Avery Fire Red

anyone here have problems achieving a good bright red? mine is close, but is has no luster. its as if i have a tad of cyan mixed, but i dont. all black is remived. not sure if its my profile or how i have it mixed (last change is 100% Y / 97% magenta). the more i raise the magenta the more it looks like there is blue mixing. using a mimaki jv3 160. printing on white gloss banner stock. anyone know of a good profile to recommend for banner stock?