• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problems with stretching canevas

bigben

Hi hope someone will be able to help me with this. So I've made those canevas mounted on frames using the IG wrap system. I've delivered them in December but the customer just put it on his wall this week. At the delivery, everything was fine. Now the tension has loosen up alot. It look like the material have stretched for some reason.

I've google the problem and I've read that it is a humidity problem. If I spray water on the back of the canvas it could go back to normal.

Does anyone ever had this problem and have a solution?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 115
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 99
I have been stretching canvas over a year now but i use the tongue and and groove bars, yes the water would fix some some loose areas but your photos look like a major tension issue is it really dry in that office?

I have not used IG system but is it possible that it lost/move its contact to the bar? as only adhesive holds it (as per video form vimeo), did you put alot of tension when installing it?

When i stretch i make sure that there is only enough tension then strike the bars outward to stretch after stapling then biscuits to secure the inside corners.

What type of canvas material did you use? In my experience water works well for 100% cotton canvas.

bigben

I have been stretching canvas over a year now but i use the tongue and and groove bars, yes the water would fix some some loose areas but your photos look like a major tension issue is it really dry in that office?

I have not used IG system but is it possible that it lost/move its contact to the bar? as only adhesive holds it (as per video form vimeo), did you put alot of tension when installing it?

When i stretch i make sure that there is only enough tension then strike the bars outward to stretch after stapling then biscuits to secure the inside corners.

What type of canvas material did you use? In my experience water works well for 100% cotton canvas.

The IG wrap system use stapler in the corner and biscuits to hold everything. I've done maybe 200 frames with this system and it's the first time I encounter this. The canvas was fine in my shop and was here maybe 2-3 days before the delivery that I've made myself. When I left their office that day, everything was fine. I don't know where they put it for a bit over a month, but I know they installed them just last week. At the delivery, I've wrapped them in a plastic bag individually for protections and I've put corners protections too. Is it because maybe they left them in the plastic bags all that time that could cause this?

TimToad

I'm not familiar with the IG system, but my first impression is the that those prints are too big to not have crossmembers in the middle.

That is way too much sag to think a little water and shrinkage will fix it.

water

I would think that the plastic bag would keep humidity and not affect the stretch unless there is a silica gel inside. but if they stored it in the furnace room possible culprit as this will be a very dry room.

try the water technique, i use spray bottle and spray it to the back until it is wet enough that you feel humidity but not soaked then wait till it is dry.

I am also thinking maybe the wood/frame shrunk due to dry temps? I would also mist some on the frame.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I watched the IG video, and having stretched a few acres of canvas, i found this system borders on ridiculous. Not only is it clumsy, it's mechanically unsound. The canvas ends up trying to be anemically stretched an entire side at a time. This is not a sound way to stretch canvas. Especially if you want it to stay stretched. Hence the OP's problems.

Canvas is proper stretched by stretching and fastening the center of each side then working outward to the corners. If you know how to do it, and it's not rocket surgery, with a staple gun and a pair of canvas pliers you can properly stretch canvas faster than you can remove the tape from those silly, and no doubt hideously expensive, IG bars. Moreover, once stretched this way it won't sag.

There is seldom any substitute for doing something right. Spare me the unsolicited testimonials to this dubious system. No amount of praise makes it mechanically sound. It's not.

astraios

I watched the IG video, and having stretched a few acres of canvas, i found this system borders on ridiculous. Not only is it clumsy, it's mechanically unsound. The canvas ends up trying to be anemically stretched an entire side at a time. This is not a sound way to stretch canvas. Especially if you want it to stay stretched. Hence the OP's problems.

I agree ... there is a reason it's called "stretched canvas". Those pictures are result of taking shortcuts especially on that size. You need to use canvas pliers or canvas stretching machine and staple it on actual canvas stretcher bars.

Second problem with
IG system is that print is now ruined as it is glued on bars so you can't even take it down and re-stretch it (if i saw it right on video).

bigben

Like I said in a previous post, I used this system on over 200 setup without any problem. As for the humidity, I have two frame in my bathroom just over the bathtub and I never had this problem.

With that been said, I've went to the customer this morning and it seems that the biscuits have loosen up. I just use a hammer to put them back in place and all came back to normal.

Brink

You definitely need a new way to stretch canvas. I watched a few videos on the IG wrap system. It looks like something that amateurs would do. There is nothing to prevent environmental conditions from causing the adhesive to fail. Additionally, the finished canvas didn't look very tight when completed. Whether you use pre-made stretcher bars or make your own frame out of lumber, the usual way to stretch the canvas is to use canvas pliers and staples. Then there is no chance of double sided tape failing and letting the canvas go limp. There are many tutorials on the web for doing this. Here is an example.

[video=youtube;nJBgBADmDCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBgBADmDCo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Desert_Signs

I agree ... there is a reason it's called "stretched canvas". Those pictures are result of taking shortcuts especially on that size. You need to use canvas pliers or canvas stretching machine and staple it on actual canvas stretcher bars.

Second problem with
IG system is that print is now ruined as it is glued on bars so you can't even take it down and re-stretch it (if i saw it right on video).

I build my own frames out of 1x2 and stretch them completely by hand. No pliers, just a stapler and my fingers.

I've never had one sag. Not even these monsters.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10369208_798455680276592_2548040526681784460_n.jpg
    10369208_798455680276592_2548040526681784460_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 155

bigben

I build my own frames out of 1x2 and stretch them completely by hand. No pliers, just a stapler and my fingers.

I've never had one sag. Not even these monsters.

attachment.php

I would love to learn more for making those big ones. Can you give me more details on how it's done?

phototec

Like others have said, no way around doing it right (stretched canvas is just that), I know there are many gimmicks on the market like the system you used claiming to make the process easier, some have plastic corner pieces etc. but as mentioned they are for hobbyist not professionals, for people who only do one or two and not for production.

I have been making canvas prints for a long time, I make my my own frames out of 1x2 select pine, gluing and stapling them together and using stretching pliers and a pneumatic staple gun to stretch and attach the canvas to the frame and NEVER have anything happen like your example.

[video=youtube;hMVk0GxQb4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMVk0GxQb4g[/video]