• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Procedures, Operation Flow Charts, Etc. Anyone creating there own or using any?

Nuagedesigns

So in another lifetime I once worked as a tool & Die maker for a relatively large company as well as a worked for Big Oil (Shell) as a terminal operator. Both company's had huge amounts of money and the staff to be able create for all intense purposes Dummy Manuals that would describe all parts to a job from start to finish as well as safety procedures that should be followed.

Now I know that in our line of work we do so many different things and are all cross trained on pretty much everything in the shop that it would be a cost losing battle to try and document everything.

We have been using Cyrious Software for sometime now with multiple user stations and love it. Tried going completely paperless but there is just somethings that still need paper documents.

We just recently re-vamped our screen-printing side of the business with a "traveler" document that follows the job from start to finish. Basically a folder that has a proof, work order, and job set-up / run sheet. The operator is keeping track of ink colors, temp settings, strokes used etc. This is then being put into cyrious after the job is complete by another employee for better records of how the job is run.

We have also tailored this to our embroidery division as well.

I was curious if anyone is using anything similar to this for actual job procedures for new employees? Do the franchise shops have detailed How to's?

Looking for things along the lines of safety, Job Aid's for Screen printing, embroidery, and general sign shop tasks.

If anyone has taking the time to do any of this for their own shop would love to trade stories or see what others have used in the past.

I know some may see this as overkill or not needed for a small sign shop but I am a little OCD as well like having somethings in black and white. Plus as our company grows I have delegated more of the production to the employees and now do not have hands on every item or job that leaves the shop and want to make sure Quality control is still held to my standards.

So with all that said..... anyone??

Team Valhalla

Nuagedesigns.... I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer you in terms of what you're looking for, but I think you're doing a good thing.

No matter how big or small, documented operating procedures for the business and written work instructions give employees direction and knowledge as to how the business is supposed to function - both while you are there and away.

I'm a believer in the thought that a business owner that's dedicated to growing his business and having it survive, puts things in place that allows other people to run it on a daily basis if/when the owner is gone. Let's hope it never happens, but let's say you have an appendicitis attack in the middle of the night... is your business set up so that when people come in the next morning and find you missing, can they carry on with what's supposed to happen? Hopefully everyone doesn't stand there and look at each other and say "What are we supposed to do?"

Operating procedures also validate and give structure to a company. When the day comes that Sally screws something up, you have the written procedures to hold up and take away excuses. You never have to say "I told you ..." and she says "I don't recall you saying that". It's right there on paper.

From your previous life, I'm sure you know it's a huge task, but keep at it. Have the employees help out by writing some of the documents themselves. You have an end result that you want.... they have ways that they do it... Have them write the work instructions, you look them over, the two of you massage it, Boom! That one is finished - move on to the next one.

The end result is that you got the job documented in the way you want it done. The employee feels like they have contributed to how the business functions and they can take ownership of that small piece.

Good luck and keep pushing!

SP

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Usually, these things grow out of unfortunate situations that happen. Good documentation on how to "do it right the next time" must be implemented.

I was also a tool and die maker, and I share your mindset in this area. I'm making provisions for the next generation to take over, but since I'm only a one man show right now, I've begin using these to help me begin the process:

https://www.crcpress.com/business-management/productivity-improvement/shopfloor

JB