• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

process foils to make solid lime green

artofacks1

Got a client that wants lime green on his decals. On needs 30 pairs 6 X 6 inches. I don't want to go out and buy a line green foil and was thinking I can try and make it with process foil.

For the more experienced guys. Will the process color mix make a solid lime green or will it be dotted. The artwork is vector.

Also need an Orange but for that one I bought the spot foil since the client needed 200 pairs.

Thanks

scott pagan

you have a few options.

1. you can create a CMYK color fill and use process foils, but that will give you halftone screening (halftone dots) that can be altered by the dot type (shape) and LPI (dot size) in 'Menu>Halftone>Dot Type>LPI'

2. you can use solid spot color foils to create a "spectratone", Gerber's 2 color overprint to make a solid fill color. choose 'Spot Color Fill>Spectratone> and enter base layer color, and top layer color. to get a lime green the color ID software recommends lemon yellow on aqua, but depending on foils you have in stock, you may need to play with test prints of your different yellows on blues and see if any look close. you can now choose either the base or top layer and select printing percentages to screen back one or both to get a lighter print color, but you introduce the halftone screening (potential) problem again.

3. it may work out to be cheaper to buy a lime foil, or if any of the refill vendors sell 5yd/10yrd refills instead of a full 50yrd cartridge.

i use spectratone overprinting on a regular basis to create solid colors that i cannot get from just 1 foil. when using halftone screening and spectratones, i had to edit a halftone setting to allow dot on dot printing instead of the traditional rosette angled dot pattern. one of my customers needed a spectratone gradient and the rosette showed the 2 different colored halftone dots at different angles, instead of a single spectratone colored dots.

if anyone is interested in this step i can dig up my notes and do a tutorial.

chillGMS

i use spectratone overprinting on a regular basis to create solid colors that i cannot get from just 1 foil. when using halftone screening and spectratones, i had to edit a halftone setting to allow dot on dot printing instead of the traditional rosette angled dot pattern. one of my customers needed a spectratone gradient and the rosette showed the 2 different colored halftone dots at different angles, instead of a single spectratone colored dots.

if anyone is interested in this step i can dig up my notes and do a tutorial.

The Spectratone System is a huge benefit for the Gerber thermal process. The color gamut is much expanded versus traditional printing.