• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Professional Development...What do you do?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As a former vocational trades teacher, it was mandated that we accumulate a minimum number of professional development hours each year. For the most part, we were allowed the freedom to choose those activities and seminars that we deemed beneficial to our needs.

So...now that I'm a business owner, I still place a strong emphasis and value on continuing education and lifelong learning.

This year, I've attended training through the Kaufann Foundation's Fast Trac Growth Venture, and am I'm now in the process of expanding my bookshelf to accommodate the dozen or so books I've picked up for my winter reading list...(I'll post the titles when I get more time).

Aside from the normal "technical" and "hands-on" seminars you attend improve your shop work, what are you doing to improve your managerial, leadership and "soft skills"?

Jim

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I tend to look for new bars and clubs closer and closer to my home. Try them out, evaluate them and decide if I want to join or not.

Actually, I don't do enough of this on my own. We have meetings within our shop to discuss things and find solutions for various situations. Other than going to a few seminars or training sessions, I'm kinda lackadaisical in this department.

Something else you could do to help yourself is join the 'Premium' membership here at :signs101: .......:Welcome:​

James Burke

Gino...I suspected something like that would be coming from you. You crack me up. And yep...I'm long overdue for another premium membership. I'm adding that to my list.

Tim...Hillsdale College is the crown jewel of this community and their library is jam packed with more resources than I could ever consume in ten lifetimes. I love the youthful energy that abounds on campus this time of year when the students come back. And besides that, the College is one of my biggest...and best customers...so I guess that makes it a triple crown for me.

JB

CS-SignSupply-TT

Jim, are you adding the Premium Subscription to your BUCKET LIST? heh!heh!heh! I am absolutely thrilled by college town atmosphere! The energy is electrifying, as is the energy of a downtown business center in the middle of a work week.

Mike F

Took a VersaCAMM workshop at the beginning of June, planning on going to the show in Philly in a few months to check some stuff out there. Other than that I just scour forums and the web for useful information. I do a lot of different stuff here and I enjoy learning new things anyway, so every now and then I make it a point to dive into something I'm not particularly familiar with. Last time that was learning Corel Draw & PhotoPaint X4, but I was kind've forced to learn that after someone gave me a copy of it since all I had before was GIMP and Inkscape. Before that I started screwing around with Wordpress to improve the company website. I'm comfortable with Corel and Wordpress now but I still read up on them as much as I can. Once I get an android phone, my next adventure is gonna be learning how to make apps for that.

Techman

I read about and goto high seminars offered by powered marketing experts. Maybe some day I will know enough to get some pay back.

James Burke

After looking over my reading list, I believe it's too long to include on this thread so I converted it to a .pdf and put it on our web page. If you're curious, it's at: http://jarsa.net/Reading_List.pdf

To date it's comprised of 27 books, but I may have a few others lurking beyond the boundaries of my office. I didn't realize it was that many, and I'm sure that number will grow as others share suggestions.

As a side note, I'm typically not an avid reader, but I do like to read for knowledge. I personally like to listen to audio books and some of these titles may be available as an audio book...which is especially nice when you're sitting at the computer, working in the shop or driving.

Jim

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Except for the bible and E-myth: I have none of the others.

I'm real selective of my reading too. But mostly because I'm a designer only. My focus is usually on inspiration. The business side I go to the standard books on how to run a design business. A sign business, like a design business has a certain amount of specialization that a lot of books do not cover. Some principles apply, but after a while it all becomes noise.

I can't stand most marketing books. Especially the authors who undervalue portions of the design and implementation process.

I do attend design and environment graphic design seminars and meetups.

SignManiac

I do nothing but hone my designs skills. That alone has increased my work load more than any marketing I have done. I have no interest in growing bigger, but it's out of my control at this point. If it were up to me, I would be much happier as a one man show, but the beast is hungry.

If I had any other stupid crazy skills, I would gladly get out of the sign business but alas, I'll probably die while making a damn sign for someone. Although? I suppose I could get back into skydiving and become a drop zone bum and get paid to throw people out the door of a plane??

But to answer the original question, I only read the interweb for my continuing education. Google has all the answers :)

signswi

After looking over my reading list, I believe it's too long to include on this thread so I converted it to a .pdf and put it on our web page. If you're curious, it's at: http://jarsa.net/Reading_List.pdf

To date it's comprised of 27 books, but I may have a few others lurking beyond the boundaries of my office. I didn't realize it was that many, and I'm sure that number will grow as others share suggestions.

As a side note, I'm typically not an avid reader, but I do like to read for knowledge. I personally like to listen to audio books and some of these titles may be available as an audio book...which is especially nice when you're sitting at the computer, working in the shop or driving.

Jim

You may find some value in entering that list into and using Goodreads, also possibly the Amazon Bookshelf app in LinkedIn. I've found that listing and reviewing books helps build credibility and builds your personal brand both as a professional and as a human being, which is just as important.

James Burke

You may find some value in entering that list into and using Goodreads, also possibly the Amazon Bookshelf app in LinkedIn. I've found that listing and reviewing books helps build credibility and builds your personal brand both as a professional and as a human being, which is just as important.

Cool...never thought of that.

JB

SqueeGee

One the chambers of commerce in our area has a leadership program that I was accepted into and just started. From talking to my classmates, many of whom have lived in other cities, they shared that similar programs were offered in the cities that they came from. Maybe you could check to see if there is one near you. Not only am I learning new things, I'm also gaining access to and networking with people I would have never done so with otherwise.