• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profile issue? Setting?

ahgrafx

So I have been running the printers now for 5 months at this job using the same profiles as the previous guy did and always thought the output could be better. I have attached a shot of the original and a shot of the print were there is noticeable posterizing I believe. Kind of clumped together and darker, wondering what is causing this. Im using a mutoh 1624 with rip software Photoprint DX Mutoh USA edition 10.5.1 PDF Rip. I've been told that we don't really calibrate the printers unless the tech comes out to service. anyone also know of a good tutorial on how to calibrate because I do have the Spectrovue VM-10
thanks

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 97
  • print.jpg
    print.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72
The place to linearize most large-format printers is in the RIP that is driving the printer. This is true for halftone printers, including the Mutoh machines. I do not know whether that functionality is enabled in the version of Photoprint that you are running, as it sounds like a 'bundled' product that shipped with the printer. Oftentimes, though not always, the bundled RIP products do not contain profile creation or linearization capabilities, but they should be available as an optional addd-on I would expect.

ahgrafx

Yes I can choose different profiles, do u believe this is in face aprofile problem?

The place to linearize most large-format printers is in the RIP that is driving the printer. This is true for halftone printers, including the Mutoh machines. I do not know whether that functionality is enabled in the version of Photoprint that you are running, as it sounds like a 'bundled' product that shipped with the printer. Oftentimes, though not always, the bundled RIP products do not contain profile creation or linearization capabilities, but they should be available as an optional addd-on I would expect.

AF

What is displayed on your monitor is an RGB rendering of the file. If your monitor was recently calibrated, it should be close to the output from your printer as viewed in the rip and not Photoshop. I am not familiar with your particular RIP, but it should display the ripped image properly in the printer's gamut to help you avoid printing a file with problems. I would think relinearizing and reprofiling would fix any of the problems you mention.

Yes I can choose different profiles, do u believe this is in face a profile problem?

It is without a doubt a color management problem.

Choosing an existing media profile (or installing a canned media profile) is very different than creating a new one from scratch, or even re-linearizing an existing media profile. The latter requires that the RIP software include the functionality, and a supported color measurement instrument is also required.