• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profiling to Fogra 39 with extra inks

Ben Lindgren

Hi Guys!

I have a Epson SC70600 and now I've been getting a bit deeper into color management.

I am making ICC profiles with i1io and been using Caldera Easymedia as the software.

Now im wondering about linearization of the orange ink. Until now I've just let it print about 90%, because I don't have a LAB value to limit this to.

What do you guys think?

Fogra39 targeted profiles give me a deltaE value of 0.2 - 0.4 depends on the material.
The same profiles usually get a PMS 70-75%.

Last edited:

p_vassilis

Printer linearization is a procedure that has to do with specific parameters (printer type, inks, resolution, passes...). The reference profile (or simulation, or target if you like), is not among them. What you are looking for when you limit your inks, is the point where they get too saturated and thus not offering additional gamut. In most cases the printer ICC will be 4-color, so there is no need to worry about extra inks (orange, green, red...), the driver will handle them accordingly. If you want to create a multi-channel profile then you take into account the additional inks and you can allow your software to limit them automatically. Limiting your inks to target values from Fogra39 for example, will result in a smaller gamut and I don't see any advantage in this. Even in proofing applications I never took any consideration of my target profile when I linearized a printer, also because the target profile was not standard, I could make proofs for various conditions.
Of course this is my personal view, it doesn't mean that any other approach is wrong.