• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Profiling with i1 for Flexi

rjssigns

Used the search function and didn't find anything pertaining to my situation. Running a new Mutoh 1624x with Flexi Pro.

On campus I have access to i1 profiling equipment including automated chart reader.
Couple questions:
Can I just follow the prompts in the advanced tab or..?
Will there be any issues with Flexi since I didn't use the Flexi wizard for profiling?

Any helpful tips/tricks/advice are appreciated.

rjssigns

New development. In my office sits a brand new i1 i0 automated chart reader and i1Pro.

Question is best place to start? Ink limits? Linearization? 20/20/20/20 gray test and measure with densitometer? We do the 20/20/20/20 deal with our Indigo.
I can and have profiled the Indigo digital press, but that's a completely different animal. It has an on board spectro that helps manage color. It draws from a standard profile to get us really close then we overlay our new profile to dial things in.

Solvent printers are a world away so need advice.

Looking to dial in neutral gray and approach gamut limit of our solvent printers. After that I need to do an in-depth write up of the process which will be used as the basis for training.

Andy D

It's been a while, but when I created a profile in Flexi, I did it via Flexi's rip program and remember
just following the prompts, it was pretty cut and dry. I do remember have issues with greys using the pre-made
ICC profiles and my ICC profile resolved that.

rjssigns

It's been a while, but when I created a profile in Flexi, I did it via Flexi's rip program and remember
just following the prompts, it was pretty cut and dry. I do remember have issues with greys using the pre-made
ICC profiles and my ICC profile resolved that.

Thanks for the reply. At this time I won't be using Flexi. I can only use the i1 software and devices since it's what we have on campus. I need to develop a process for training and need some direction on the best place to start.
I'm thinking about printing individual CMYK blocks in ink densities starting at 100%, stepping down 5% until 80% then measuring density. That should give me a solid basis for setting ink limits.

Saturn

Aging Member
Does FlexiPro not have the profiling wizard? I may be missing something. It sounds like you're in a situation where a walk-through wizard-type profiler, whether using Flexi or X-Rite software, would be beneficial.

I know you can get Flexi 19 for just a single month and take that time to create all your profiles, that's what I did. Just be sure to pick "Enhanced Stochastic" as your dither type as it's the only quality one I found that was available across all versions of Flexi available to me. Most profiles I saw available for Flexi were "SO Diffusion", and not only did those give poor results, but they would not work on Flexi 19...

My greys, gamut, and ink density were all greatly improved by creating my own profiling, however it was a lot of trial and error and probably still not as perfect as I would like—Although hugely better than stock. That said, if I wasn't using a wizard-type profiler it would have taken a lot more time and research to get good results.

rjssigns

Does FlexiPro not have the profiling wizard? I may be missing something. It sounds like you're in a situation where a walk-through wizard-type profiler, whether using Flexi or X-Rite software, would be beneficial.

I know you can get Flexi 19 for just a single month and take that time to create all your profiles, that's what I did. Just be sure to pick "Enhanced Stochastic" as your dither type as it's the only quality one I found that was available across all versions of Flexi available to me. Most profiles I saw available for Flexi were "SO Diffusion", and not only did those give poor results, but they would not work on Flexi 19...

My greys, gamut, and ink density were all greatly improved by creating my own profiling, however it was a lot of trial and error and probably still not as perfect as I would like—Although hugely better than stock. That said, if I wasn't using a wizard-type profiler it would have taken a lot more time and research to get good results.

I have Flexi, the school does not. Since the school will doesn't have Flexi I need to develop a sound process for profiling inkjet and UV printers in the lab regardless of RIP. I need input, tips and tricks of getting the most out of the i1 suite.

Joe House

Profile creation will be dependant on the RIP. You will need the RIP to set up print settings (number of passes, dithering method, etc) your single color ink limits, linearize the channels and then limit the total ink. If the RIP doesn't have full profile creation ability (like Flexi and Onyx do and most "free" RIPs, like Versaworks do not) then you will need to use a profile creation software like i1 Profiler,
When creating profiles for Versaworks, for example, I do the first 4 steps in the RIP and build the profile based on those steps. You always have to start at the beginning. Your software options will dictate the details of how you do it though.

Good Luck