Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profiling

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by jim_papa, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:11 AM.

1. jim_papa

jim_papa New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Greece
    Hello

I have mutoh 1324 with onyx 10
    If I get x-rite eye one spectrophotometer, is it easy to make new profile, better than anything i can find.

I'm asking you because I can't get bright and correct colors without muddy the ink

The vinyl I'm printing is Orafol 3640G

Tags:
  2. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes it is relatively easy... You don't have to go crazy and can just click and go for a huge improvement. I would recommend also upgrading to Onyx 19 to take advantage of all the updates it brings.

3. jim_papa

jim_papa New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Greece
    Some more questions that I have.
    Has x-rite good result?
    Do I have to make the new profile only from Onyx or X-rite have a program? And is that better way to do?
    All models of x-rite eye one is compatible with onyx?
    The muddy colors are going to be cleared and dry until the take up?

4. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    You have to have Production House or higher to do profiling in Onyx. Postershop won't do it. The i1 works fine with Onyx. The X-Rite i1 does not come with software that will make a profile for Onyx.

Colors will be improved by profiling. The issue of drying before takeup comes from setting ink limits at the beginning of profiling, before you ever even use the spectrophotometer. If you're over-inking, a lot of your muddy colors may be from that.

5. Saturn

Saturn New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Portland
    Unclebun, are you sure it's not Postershop vs RIP Center that you need for ICC Profiling? I've been trying to keep myself up on what the minimum RIPs are out there that can do profiling inside themselves and this PDF from ONYX seems to indicate Postershop is okay... ? Or am I missing something?

6. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You Need Production House for x10 to build profiles. And yes you can build profiles outside of Onyx in the xRite Publisher software. Onyx is far simpler and more intuitive for our industry though and Onyx 19 makes it even easier. If it were me I'd buy the ioI1 Pro 3 Basic and upgrade to Onyx 19.

7. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    PosterShop can make a profile all the way up to the point of making the ICC profile. It cannot do that part (which is kind of essential). Before I upgraded to ProductionHouse, I used a couple of profiles I made with PosterShop, and because the ink limits and settings were correct for the media I made them for, they worked better than canned profiles even though they didn't have ICC profiles.

Now that I have ProductionHouse, the profiles I make are way better.

8. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Onyx added custom ICC profile functionality to the Postershop package in version 11.1

9. unclebun

unclebun Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Osage Beach, MO
    And the OP has v10