• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Programs to open eps files

DerbyCitySignGuy

If you don't have Illustrator, I believe you can use GIMP with GhostScript to open an EPS.

Assuming you haven't already done so, you could just use the 30 day trial of Illustrator CC from Adobe.

WildWestDesigns

the logical choice would be illustrator.
corel will do it
inkscape def. opens eps, not sure about ai
flexi
omega

Inkscape can open Ai files. I think it does a better job with Ai then with CDR files in my experience.

The only bad thing with Inkscape is that it reduces the file to one layer (I'm a big layer person).

The biggest thing on using a program other then Ai to open Ai files especially (although it can happen with EPS as well) is that if any effects were used that aren't read by whatever version of software you are using could lead to interesting results.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
The biggest thing on using a program other then Ai to open Ai files especially (although it can happen with EPS as well) is that if any effects were used that aren't read by whatever version of software you are using could lead to interesting results.

This is one of the reasons why I have been using both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for over 20 years. In recent years both applications have been introducing more and more application-dependent special effects that do not translate well to other programs outside the original application. Even simple things like gradient fills are unpredictable when opened by other programs. Build up a gradient fill on an object in one application be it CorelDRAW or Illustrator and it's bound to be different or just totally wacko when you open the artwork in the rival drawing program.

I think CorelDRAW X7 has improved a bit with its abilities to open Illustrator-based AI, EPS or PDF files. But it's still not perfect. And the improved support has come at a cost of strange backward compatibility issues with earlier versions of CorelDRAW. I'll see shifts on gradient stops for one thing. Transparency stops on a gradient in X7 won't save down to X6 or earlier properly. We have to keep a couple older versions of CorelDRAW "alive" for opening really old .CDR files. Version X7 won't even try to open .CDR files made before version 5.

WildWestDesigns

This is one of the reasons why I have been using both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator for over 20 years. In recent years both applications have been introducing more and more application-dependent special effects that do not translate well to other programs outside the original application. Even simple things like gradient fills are unpredictable when opened by other programs. Build up a gradient fill on an object in one application be it CorelDRAW or Illustrator and it's bound to be different or just totally wacko when you open the artwork in the rival drawing program.

I think CorelDRAW X7 has improved a bit with its abilities to open Illustrator-based AI, EPS or PDF files. But it's still not perfect. And the improved support has come at a cost of strange backward compatibility issues with earlier versions of CorelDRAW. I'll see shifts on gradient stops for one thing. Transparency stops on a gradient in X7 won't save down to X6 or earlier properly. We have to keep a couple older versions of CorelDRAW "alive" for opening really old .CDR files. Version X7 won't even try to open .CDR files made before version 5.

My digitizing software started to come with integration with DRAW starting with X4 up to x6. It's actually a year late for another release, so there isn't one with X7 as of yet. I really tried to use DRAW, but too much of a long time users of Ai. Don't think I'm knocking DRAW at all, I was just too much like a deer in head lights with that program. I really wanted to like it, because of it's integration with Wilcom, but I just don't install it and disable any integration options from my view.

In all my years of doing this, I can count on one hand the amount of CDR files that I have gotten though. Now as far as CDR generated EPS files etc, that I don't know. If the reverse had been true, I think I would have kept at it. I know a lot of people in my trade group that love DRAW. I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I went the reverse route learning CorelDRAW first and then Illustrator. I bought my first personal copy of Photoshop (v2.5) bundled with Illustrator 4. There were things I wanted to do with paths in Photoshop, like importing Corel-generated vectors. CorelDRAW has never been able to directly supply Photoshop with paths. Illustrator 4 on the PC just plain sucked. While Adobe was giving the Mac versions 5, 5.5 and 6 of Illustrator I started using Freehand on the PC and kept using it until v10. I did buy Illustrator 7 (and PageMaker) when they were offered for dirt cheap prices since I was a Photoshop user. But I didn't get back to upgrading Illustrator on any sort of steady basis until Creative Suite 2.

I'll get customer provided art files in CorelDRAW .CDR format from time to time. It doesn't happen very often, unlike all the stupid, dopey JPEG files. With the kinds of resources that are available today there aren't many good excuses for someone to not design their logo (or their idea of a logo) in some kind of vector format. It's even do-able within Photoshop if the person doing the design work really knows how to use Photoshop.

I don't get as many customer supplied EPS files as I did years ago. PDF and AI seem more common. I still run into plenty of issues with those customer provided files. The funniest one (if you're in a good mood at the time) is when the customer saved a pixel-based image inside an Illustrator or PDF document, thinking either one would somehow magically convert that pixel-based artwork into clean vector based art. That mistake usually comes after telling the customer his fuzzy JPEG file won't work as source art for a certain kind of sign and that we need vector art instead otherwise he'll pay a design fee for conversion.

d fleming

I have been using Illy and corel forever. If I had to give one up I think it would be Illy. That being said my Signlab imports pdf, eps, ai all just fine. I use corel to convert files to jpeg for proofs, to import some files and mostly for the huge corel clipart collection I have.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Which application one chooses for vector creation and editing is a matter of personal preference. But when it comes to being able to open an EPS or to supply someone else with an EPS that will open reliably in any application, as a clip art publisher I can say that Adobe Illustrator is by far the best choice. This will allow opening incoming AI and PDF as well as EPS with no problems I've ever encountered.

To open files coming in, you will need to periodically upgrade or become a Creative Cloud subscriber. To create files that others can open, one needs to become familiar with the various legacy versions of Illustrator EPS. Version 3 for straight vectors is totally reliable. Version 8 works well for most situations that involve advanced features but once masks and transparency come into play, using a legacy format is a gamble.

WildWestDesigns

.although I find Adobe just takes 10 more steps. :rolleyes:

It does take 10 more steps (or more) until you use actions.

The drawback is that you still have to do the entire process at least once (mainly to do if you recorded the action correctly) in order to record the action.

Actions really do take a lot of steps out there though. It took me a long time to realize that functionality was there.