• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Project scheduling and organization

showcase 66

From time to time I re evaluate how I setup my weekly "to do" board and how I organize my projects and time. Lately I have been a little distracted for a couple of reasons. 1 for some of the things that have happened around here in the past few weeks. 2 I keep finding myself getting on Signs101 every time I get on the computer to check something. (I decided earlier today to take the internet off my computer I use just for cutting so I dont get tempted to login):doh:

Anyway,

Right now I have been using a marker board with grids to mark Mon-Fri. It has been fine with a lot of things but I have been forgetting to write on it or forget to mark things off and will get confused at times. With SGIA being last week I have gotten far behind. Right now I have 17 projects that need to be done by Friday and I am sure I am missing 1 or 2 from last week that I cant remember. My board has become a cluster and I am getting really annoyed when I look at it. :banghead:

Just curious how everyone else sets up there work schedule.

iSign

Here's my tip of the day:

Forget about this thread!

RUN, don't walk... back to your production area, and DO those 17 jobs!!

...sorry, no way around it, that's gonna be the bottom line... Just Do It!

and then come back & we'll talk :)

showcase 66

Here's my tip of the day:

Forget about this thread!

RUN, don't walk... back to your production area, and DO those 17 jobs!!

...sorry, no way around it, that's gonna be the bottom line... Just Do It!

and then come back & we'll talk :)

Ok. I am going back to work now :covereyes:

iSign

I keep finding myself getting on Signs101 every time I get on the computer to check something. (I decided earlier today to take the internet off my computer I use just for cutting so I dont get tempted to login):doh:

I had to laugh when I read this because I have been struggling with this same fact on and off for years...

so, I was already laughing at the trap we fall in "reading up on trade knowledge" as if that was somehow "work" until we realize we're a damn site smarter about signs then ever.. BUT NO WORK IS GETTING DONE!!!

..and then I was already laughing when I realized you were here starting a post about S101 keeping you from working, so you could learn how to prevent that :ROFLMAO:

TheSellOut

I hope someone can offer some good tips on this post!! I've tried the "to Do" board myself and fell off track far to easily! I must say it once a day...that I need to make an order form to fill out for every order, but the days go by and the napkins, sticky notes, note pads, etc...continue to pile up on my desk like a big dust bunny.

Scheduling is a whole other best that I always wrestle with...

iSign

honestly, in my opinion, chatting about this stuff with our peers is valuable, but it's playing around really... and I ain't knockin' that either... it's what I do most here, and what I enjoy most here... working? working would be if I got my scheduling form uploaded, and pasted in here & went into detail about how I arrived at my form, how I use it, how it works... that's work.. and I just may do that, but if any of y'all really want to 'work" on this topic... just use the search button... this has all been covered numerous time for over 10 years, on a half a dozen forums.. seriously, three of us could go & search out threads on this topic & come back with links & in 20 minutes time I'd bet we could have more stuff then anyone could read before sunrise... complete with forms & concepts & the works...

Locals Find!

I use a simplified order form thats printed out of 5x7 card stock. I use these as work orders/invoices.

Then I have a series of clips on the wall to move the jobs through its stages.

Another alternative I have used in the past at my previous print shop was we used the same vinyl envelopes with strings like mechanics use. Then we moved em down the same peg system.

Those work great then you put in the work order, samples of artwork, job note everything. Final step is invoicing.

Also, great if something happens to you (knock on wood) and someone has to fill in.

Much easier than a schedule board and much harder to lose than a post it.

If you need help with a work order let me know I would be happy to share mine. I have two designs fully editable and one is excel compatible making it even easier.

Marlene

Right now I have been using a marker board with grids to mark Mon-Fri

that's how we do it. the trick is to update every morning as thigns get messed up and change. the sign you were to install can't be done as GC is running behind and there is no wall, materials came in a nice bright pink when was suppose to be blue, river floods area where digging to pour concrete was suppose to happen, Marlene is sick of working and goes home early, etc...

MikePro

checklist + checks, only way to get it done... reward yourself with sleep when you've made it to the bottom of the list and start setting personal deadlines for 1-3days early
(you never know when a wrench'll get thrown in the gears and you have to scramble to fix!)

...on that note, i'm off to hawaii tomorrow and my checklist needs working on! see you on the beach, S101!

Letterbox Mike

Dunno if it helps, but here is our job board, we've been using it for about 2 years now and it's proven to work well for us. It's about the 15th version of it, it's the first that lasted longer than a couple months. It's got spaces for every job, proof and install for the upcoming week, plus space for what we call long term jobs that go beyond the current week, all quotes in house, and an area that anyone can write anything we need to buy (vinyl, toilet paper, windex, etc.). Combined with an extremely detailed yet efficient work order, this keeps our busy shop organized really well.

I can upload our work order too if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Attachments

• JOB BOARD.jpg
    JOB BOARD.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 94

Brandon708

Dunno if it helps, but here is our job board, we've been using it for about 2 years now and it's proven to work well for us. It's about the 15th version of it, it's the first that lasted longer than a couple months. It's got spaces for every job, proof and install for the upcoming week, plus space for what we call long term jobs that go beyond the current week, all quotes in house, and an area that anyone can write anything we need to buy (vinyl, toilet paper, windex, etc.). Combined with an extremely detailed yet efficient work order, this keeps our busy shop organized really well.

That looks like a nice board. Can you send me a high resolution of that please. :thumb: (only if it's allowed)

rfulford

I prefer to use a GTD application like Omnifocus. It has been really useful for me. On the windows side, there is a program called bonsai that looks great.

http://www.natara.com/Bonsai/index.cfm

Both applications are based off of the methodology used in David Allen's book "Getting Things Done"

mark in tx

Here is my system:

I print up my blank work orders every morning.
Those are placed by the phone at the "customer receiving desk"

Everything is written down on the work order and complete info is taken.
(discipline is needed)

The filled out work order is put in the inbox on the left of the production computer.
All pertinent info is added to the work order (materials ordered, etc...)
It stay in that inbox until production is started.

To the right of the production computer is the "Production" inbox.
The work order stays there until production is complete.

The completed work order goes to the "Office" computer inbox for invoicing.
The completed invoice is attached to the completed product, emailed or snail mailed to the customer.

Quotes are entered on the same work order form, but they go to the "Quotes" inbox next to the office computer for follow up.

The key to this little system is that the work orders do not travel around the shop.
They stay in the inboxes.
Take notes, but the work order stays.

I used to use a few different boards for tracking stuff, but keeping track of 3-4 boards, plus paperwork was turning out to be counter productive.
Now, the only board I have is in the production room for the production team to keep their own notes, however they want.

Between my morning production meeting, and end of day meeting with everyone, things flow smoothly.

mike59413

I am very interested in seeing your work order form, I have been looking everywhere for one and lately failure to communicate has been a big problem in our shop resulting in multiple big installs scheduled for fridays as a last minute install.