• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Projecting bracket hardware help

TeamOutlaw

We need to attach / hang a custom-made projecting sign wall bracket on the front of a building next week and are concerned about the hardware / durability.

The bracket itself is aluminum, but we figure could weigh - 125-150 lbs, plus the weight of the sign...so maybe 200# total.

The bracket will project out from the wall approx. 7 feet, and has a "base / wall" plate that is 6"W x 5'L to attach to the wall.

Our concern is that the wall we are attaching to is a mixture of brick and block. It's an old building that has been renovated. We are NOT able to put hardware / bolts all the way through the brick/block as there are apartment living spaces on the inside (hardware would be exposed).

So, is anyone aware of any hardware / fasteners that would hold this type & weight of bracket securely to brick / block!? Thanks in advance!

attachment.php

Attachments

• WL Sign.jpg
    WL Sign.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 88

2B

seeing some major red flags with what you are trying to do.

to fit within your criteria
add a cable from the signs outer point to a higher spot on the wall
depending on how far the roofs edge is make a bracket and "hang" the sign

Stormyj

Just another guy

You also might want to find out if the town or city requires a engineers approval. I would be very careful with an installation like that. I am currently working on a similar project and my concern is that hardware failure would result in injury from falling sign. Nightmare!!!

edit:
you might want to consider this for the upper cable or chain or bracket.
DSC00993(1).jpg

TeamOutlaw

2B, What kind of "red flags" exactly?

There is a diagonal support bar from the outer-most point of the projecting bracket to the top of the wall plate already (see rendering).

Problem with "suspending" the sign from the roof with cables is that the roof is probably 20' above this point and the sign would become a giant swing in the wind.

FS-Keith

Most engineers would spec Hilti hit for this application if you cannot throughbolt. Another option is large expansion sleeves.

2B

We need to attach / hang a custom-made projecting sign wall bracket on the front of a building next week and are concerned about the hardware / durability.

The bracket itself is aluminum, but we figure could weigh - 125-150 lbs, plus the weight of the sign...so maybe 200# total.

The bracket will project out from the wall approx. 7 feet, and has a "base / wall" plate that is 6"W x 5'L to attach to the wall.

Our concern is that the wall we are attaching to is a mixture of brick and block. It's an old building that has been renovated. We are NOT able to put hardware / bolts all the way through the brick/block as there are apartment living spaces on the inside (hardware would be exposed).

So, is anyone aware of any hardware / fasteners that would hold this type & weight of bracket securely to brick / block!? Thanks in advance!

you are wanting 7' to be extended out from the buildings facade, regardless of the weight that is A LOT of pressure being placed on the bottom edge which is only 6" w

if the drawing is to scale then there will be a fare amount of wind drag from the sides, and the mounting plate is only 6" w

all of the retro apartments that I have seen / worked on are by roads and at 7' will extend into the right of way. (this is solely an assumption)

brick and mortar deteriorate over time and become brittle especially mortar, more importantly brick is designed to take weight pressing down onto it, hence why is was common to see brick roads/bridges NOT being pulled on.

you are unable to mount through the wall so you are placing all of your trust on the mortar

2B, What kind of "red flags" exactly?

There is a diagonal support bar from the outer-most point of the projecting bracket to the top of the wall plate already (see rendering).

Problem with "suspending" the sign from the roof with cables is that the roof is probably 20' above this point and the sign would become a giant swing in the wind.

the diagonal support is still using the same mounting bracket as the sign, I am talking about extending another anchor 4+ feet above the current mount.

the suspension option would still require you to mount with the mounting bracket to stop the sway but the weight would be held from the roof ie pressing down into the brick for added strength.

TeamOutlaw

Gotcha 2B! I was slightly mistaken on the overall width of the mounting plate...it is 8"W not 6", but...that's not too much different. The 7' projection isn't an issue with right-of-ways as it is over a large sidewalk and will be 14' off the ground or so.

We may have to consider adding some cables from each side and the top to help with side wind drag and help support some of the outer weight.

We have reached out to the contractor that did the remodel & he is going to assist us in the install seeing as he is familiar with the building facade.

Z SIGNS

Bolt through the wall and have outriggers above and on the sides.
You will sleep better especially when the wind is blowing 40 mph

On smaller signs you can get away with lags/expandables.

But holy cow 7' projection. I don't think you should do it any other way but bolt through.

This is serious business and lives could be at stake.
It should not be "lets try this and see if it works"

Don't take advice from amateurs on a mostly amature forum.
If your not sure what to do seek the advice of an experienced sign installer
or hire a structural engineer

hope this helps