• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Projecting Costs

EdFitzgerald

Hello,
So I have an idea for a product and I'm on the brink of jumping into the printing industry. I've got an accounting background, so by nature, I'm hesitant to sink a significant investment without at least being able to ballpark some sales/cost projections. I'd like to get an idea as far as what it takes to operate these printers, ie. ink costs per square ft or something like that, energy consumption, etc. What I'm doing is going to require relatively high resolution printing with a flatbed UV printer. Is this information available or does anyone have any insights from experience? Thanks.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
And here we go...

Welcome to the forum from Omaha, NE!

--

The best answer I have for your question is to look at outsourcing your product to some of the higher volume trade printers (like us). At first you're going to have a tough time printing for any less than we will print and ship it to you for.

I am suggesting this both to prove your idea without large initial expenses and also to give you an idea on material and labor costs for these kinds of products. Margins in the wholesale business are thin. You don't have to subtract much off the price we sell at to determine our variable costs.

--

If your jobs can be screen printed, that's our specialty, please keep us in mind.

EdFitzgerald

And here we go...

Welcome to the forum from Omaha, NE!

--

The best answer I have for your question is to look at outsourcing your product to some of the higher volume trade printers (like us). At first you're going to have a tough time printing for any less than we will print and ship it to you for.

I am suggesting this both to prove your idea without large initial expenses and also to give you an idea on material and labor costs for these kinds of products. Margins in the wholesale business are thin. You don't have to subtract much off the price we sell at to determine our variable costs.

--

If your jobs can be screen printed, that's our specialty, please keep us in mind.

I was thinking about that initially, and I'm sure it makes more sense financially at this stage. I guess I need to look further into the patents and legal side of things before I turn the whole idea over to someone.

FatCat

Hello,
So I have an idea for a product and I'm on the brink of jumping into the printing industry. I've got an accounting background, so by nature, I'm hesitant to sink a significant investment without at least being able to ballpark some sales/cost projections. I'd like to get an idea as far as what it takes to operate these printers, ie. ink costs per square ft or something like that, energy consumption, etc. What I'm doing is going to require relatively high resolution printing with a flatbed UV printer. Is this information available or does anyone have any insights from experience? Thanks.

I have no idea what your concept is, but being an entrepreneur is all about taking risks. If you have a unique idea that you are afraid someone will copy, I would first spend time getting a patent or trademark to try and protect it if possible. Afterwards, it would be a matter of finding a professional company that would be willing to work under a specified contract that an attorney could generate for you.

In regards to buying a printer to produce your "widget" I consider that a bad idea. Honestly, do you want to sell your widget, or be a printer? If you have no prior experience how to set up "real" print files (i.e.; not using a microsoft product), how to work with RIPS, understanding color theory, vector vs. raster artwork, and least of all how to operate and maintain a solvent printer and the various materials and finishing options required (think cutter and/or laminator) you are going to spend a lot of time learning to be a printer which doesn't sound like a good idea if you really need to be selling and marketing your "widget".

Look at it like this, if I came up with a new "tool" that would revolutionize an industry and I thought everyone would want, I certainly wouldn't waste my time building a factory and purchasing machines to manufacture it myself. I would contact an existing manufacturer, discuss my terms and have them produce it quicker, cheaper and better than I ever could because that is what they specialize in.

Just my .02¢, good luck to you.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I might be able to give you a better idea on costs, while keeping confidentiality, if we speak over the phone. I have signed multiple NDA's for other customers and have no problem with that. It comes with the territory of being a trade printer.

-Gene
888-509-7446

EdFitzgerald

I might be able to give you a better idea on costs, while keeping confidentiality, if we speak over the phone. I have signed multiple NDA's for other customers and have no problem with that. It comes with the territory of being a trade printer.

-Gene
888-509-7446

Thanks for the help. I'm still working on the product design now, but once I get a little further along I'll give you a call.

EdFitzgerald

In regards to buying a printer to produce your "widget" I consider that a bad idea. Honestly, do you want to sell your widget, or be a printer? If you have no prior experience how to set up "real" print files (i.e.; not using a microsoft product), how to work with RIPS, understanding color theory, vector vs. raster artwork, and least of all how to operate and maintain a solvent printer and the various materials and finishing options required (think cutter and/or laminator) you are going to spend a lot of time learning to be a printer which doesn't sound like a good idea if you really need to be selling and marketing your "widget".

The UV aspect is new to me, but I've got some experience with this sort of thing, and one of my friends works in the display industry. But I'm definitely coming around to this line of thinking. If everything goes well, wrestling with a printer all day isn't an ideal use of time. Thanks for talking some sense back into me. :wink: