• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Projecting sign bracket design

redprint

Looking for someone who knows about designing projecting sign brackets. I need some help designing a bracket to hold a two sided sign projecting on a outside brick wall. Sign will be approximately 36x48 wide. I would assume I need to attach to wall on top and bottom and attach sign to bars running between the top and bottom projecting poles. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Is it possible to get a sign bracket designed that literally has the bars running thru it and the sign is basically one piece showing on both sides of hanger brackets? I would assume you need to have the fasteners going thru to the inside wall. Probably a large backplate which would be about 10" wide?

Z SIGNS

Designing projecting signs that are subject to wind loads is serious business.

It's like asking I want to do the work of structural engineer how do I do it.

There is no fit all answer.
Lot of things to consider when designing an install

Height of bracket,bracket material,weight of sign,size of sign etc.

If you don't have the experience to know what will work you will have to either research this topic
or hire a professional.

If you just want to wing it you could go survey a bracket/install similar to what you want to do and copy that.

Hope this helps

J Hill Designs

+1 this is the time to pay an engineer to draw up plans for it -- one would imagine a permit for this type of sign would need wet-stamped anyway.

nwsigns

Engineer is likely serious overkill for a sign that size. Is this just a panel or what is the sign? We just did 16 4' x 6' double sided aluminum cabinets with neon for locations all over the country and only 2 cities asked for engineering and no changes were made to my design. Need more details though - what kind of sign?

redprint

Engineer is likely serious overkill for a sign that size. Is this just a panel or what is the sign? We just did 16 4' x 6' double sided aluminum cabinets with neon for locations all over the country and only 2 cities asked for engineering and no changes were made to my design. Need more details though - what kind of sign?

The sign will be approximately 48" wide by 36" tall. Probably will use something like Alumacore or a PVC material. Will be attached to both sides of a projecting metal bracket that holds the two signs, to be viewed from both directions of the street. The bracket shall have a top and bottom bar that attaches to the building wall, using fasteners to attach the bottom and top bracket to wall. Bracket projecting out from the wall holding the two signs. I seem to have more and more people wanting these projecting signs, and not to have support on top and bottom it would let the sign have to much movement.

nwsigns

Then the bracket is not really the issue but attachment. I would go for something like 2" square tube welded to a 1/4" plate (probably 6" x 6"). How many and what kind of hardware depends on the wall. Solid concrete could hold that easily if your using the right expanding fasteners - thats where you need to do your homework and read the specs on fasteners for strength - calculate wind load based on conditions in your area and pick the fastener for the job.

Brick, brick veneer, CMU (filled or unfilled), PT concrete, steel framing, blah, blah, blah - you have to know your wall and fasteners.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Grimco sells some prefab brackets for signs like this. Either that, or you'll need a good welder and engineer and make SURE that your mounting bolts are in solid material.
You may be better off sub-contracting this job out or sending them to a reliable experienced vendor.