• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Projecting sign fabrication, what substrate and how to finish edges.

redprint

What is/are the correct fabrication techniques for doing a two sided sign and then finish the edges to make it look like one solid sign, instead of just attaching the two faces to each side of bracket? What is the best substrate and the best way to finish the edges? Attached drawing shows shape of face needed. Thanks to all for your advice!
attachment.php

Attachments

• projectingsign2.jpg
    projectingsign2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 110

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That amount of sign hanging out over whatever...... ya better think seriously about using all-thread and putting a second set of wall brackets on the inside of that wall. You'll also need guy wires according to the material used for the sign. That's a lot of sign hanging out 5' from the building and 4' tall. That's a Hell of a wind load anywhere.

edit : if all that stuff is proportionate, those sure are some itty-bitty bricks. :wink:

Billct2

Yep, I'd want something that big to have some serious fasteners, preferably lots of bearing surface on the wall and thru bolts with interior plates.
When we build shaped signs like that with dibond faces we often use HDU cut offs to make the edge solid. If you've got good metalworking capabilities
or access to a good fabricator the whole thing could be made from aluminum.

redprint

Yes, Installation to wall will include threaded rods to inside of building. Plus there will also be guide wires attached to sign frame.

fresh

you could make an HDU sandwich, and have the bracket space cut out. I'd glue it onto the bracket, so the bracket and sign are all one piece.

fresh

i'd also probably get an engineer to help out with the bracket design, because, yeah, that is a big sign.

MikePro

might be easier, to have separate frame & sign cabinet with match plates for bolting together at time of install.