• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

promotional items

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
The promotional products industry has always been distributor based and for good reason. Manufacturers don't want to have to deal with people who have no knowledge or experience in graphic design and logistics. Personally, I'm grateful for this as we make a ton of money selling promo products. We used to be "just" a commercial printer but promo products are almost half our sales now since print is slowly dying.
where is print dying?

Stacey K

I like making signs
where is print dying?
I think he means more traditional print such as letterhead, newspapers, magazines? With Vista Print and the such, so many people use that vs. going to an actual printer these days for business cards, postcards, etc. Our most local printer is getting into banners and signs now. Two print shops I worked at are both out of business now. Both did mostly letterhead, envelopes, business cards and wedding invites back in the 90's.

I wonder if they still make those big huge wedding invitation books anymore you used to order from? LOL

gnubler

Remember Ennis? They're still around and are TERRIBLE to work with. Blacklisted. I think there's still a BCT (Business Cards Tomorrow) in my area. As of a couple years ago they only accepted orders via fax (seriously) and when our fax machine finally bit the dust we stopped using them as a vendor.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I think he means more traditional print such as letterhead, newspapers, magazines? With Vista Print and the such, so many people use that vs. going to an actual printer these days for business cards, postcards, etc. Our most local printer is getting into banners and signs now. Two print shops I worked at are both out of business now. Both did mostly letterhead, envelopes, business cards and wedding invites back in the 90's.

I wonder if they still make those big huge wedding invitation books anymore you used to order from? LOL
ah ok. I am right next door to a traditional printer. business cards, magazines, etc. he's killing it. And he gets business from us. We have SOME things that cross, but I'm not worried if he sells the occasional yard sign. For the most part, we support each other. He's been around for 40 years.