• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proof/layout assistance: how much information to include?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I get remarkably consistent color accuracy using Adobe products for file preparation and sending the file to a well calibrated RIP. It is important to understand the limits of the output device and make sure the colors used are within that machines achievable color gamut. Anything outside the gamut will be reinterpreted based on how the RIP is mapped to the the printer. For the most accurate results, anything outside the printers color gamut would be rejected by the RIP. This is not usually practical, so the color profiles used by the RIP are a compromise (with colors shifting all over the map – hopefully with barely perceptible color shifts if carefully mapped).

Andy_warp is correct regarding choosing Pantone colors. If the client specifies Pantone colors, I specify them in my file using Adobe's color books. If I am choosing a Pantone color, it is from a physical Pantone swatch book. Even the best calibrated monitor will be a compromise, and lighting conditions in the studio play a big role in how the color on a monitor is perceived. Things can get out of hand when the client uses their monitor (usually uncalibrated and set to a high color temperature) for soft proofing. For critical color work, I use physical Pantone swatches and samples of full size output (not the whole print, just a slice or section).

This is the world of fine art printing, packaging, and photography. Less so with commercial printing, but still a major consideration. Fortunately, it is less critical in the sign industry (with the exception of trade show and display graphics). Most of my clients are unwilling to spend $hundreds for accurate color matching and proofing for a $75 banner.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Also on your other post, how do you do your best to calibrate proof color accuracy from RGB computer screen via email and CMYK for printers/paper?
Example...

sRGBcustomerFile> RIP@appropriateSize(usually small)UsingPrinterMediaProfile> openRasterTIFFconvertTo sRGB(orAdobe1998)> placeIntoProofTemplate.pdf> emailToCustomer.

Re-RIP the same file at the final size when / if approved. There should be no surprises at this point.

Sorry, short of time.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Our printer nailed the 541c from the file, upon delivery they noticed the color they actually wanted was completely different. We did as much as we could given the file.

If they gave you a file that had the 541C PMS color in it, then it's on them. They picked the wrong color, then they approved the job, then they decided it wasn't the color they wanted? That's all on them. If you're feeling generous, maybe offer them a slight discount on the reprint.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
How much information to include? Does anyone else include information about all the colors in the files on proof?

Food for thought. Not a layout, just a list.

Yes, there is a place for important colors and their callouts.

Attachments

• ProofTemplateContent.png
    ProofTemplateContent.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 156