• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proofing Help

jason_hamilton

Okay, I hope my "stupid" doesn't show here. I am running a trial version of Onyx 12.2 at the moment while we consider upgrading from the ancient 10.2 we have been on for about 5 years. One of the features we were hoping to find is the ability to create a PDF proof from job editor to send to clients. I have tried exporting as a TIFF, as PDF is not an option in my list, but it only exports the original image. I want to send the client a PDF, or TIFF even, with any corrections/additions I've made. i.e. cropping, color, or, most important for a few specific clients we have, grommet placement marks. Am I just missing something here???? Any help would be most appreciated!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I didn't think you could design files in Onyx and thought it was just a RIP but maybe I am wrong. Most people do that in their design software not the RIP.

jason_hamilton

I didn't think you could design files in Onyx and thought it was just a RIP but maybe I am wrong. Most people do that in their design software not the RIP.
We do a lot of "design" work in Onyx. Cropping, scaling, bleeds, things like that. Easier for us to just do it on the fly, then rip and print. In the past, if we needed to show any additional pdf proofs, we would have to go through our prepress department, we were just hoping to cut that step out. I may just give Onyx a call back and ask them.

Thank you!!!

shoresigns

Yeah, I think if you want to proof these small adjustments, you need to do them in your design software. RIP software can make some minor adjustments to your artwork, but those functions are meant to be for production use only, after the client has approved the artwork.

FYI, if you want to make grommet marks in Illustrator, just draw a 1/4" crosshair, drop it into your Brushes panel to create a custom brush, and adjust the spacing. Draw a box where you want the grommets and set the stroke to your new custom brush. Or I'm sure someone can chime in with a plugin that does it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

You can't "design" in onyx. But you can edit in job editor, i.e crop marks, bleeds, colour adjustments ect.

We do a lot of "design" work in Onyx. Cropping, scaling, bleeds, things like that. Easier for us to just do it on the fly, then rip and print. In the past, if we needed to show any additional pdf proofs, we would have to go through our prepress department, we were just hoping to cut that step out. I may just give Onyx a call back and ask them.

Thank you!!!
that is not "Design" work what you're doing in onyx. cropping, bleeds, scaling ect isn't design and not intended for your client to see. That is there so you can do all those on the fly before printing if that particular job needs bleeds, or crop marks ect.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I th
upload_2018-6-6_10-23-37.png
upload_2018-6-6_10-22-53.png
in
upload_2018-6-6_10-22-26.png
k
upload_2018-6-6_10-22-39.png

I think what you're looking for is called Soft Proofing. I don't think Onyx is really ever been great at this. You can essentially print to a .tif file rather than the printer itself and that should spit out what you want.

Dekthro

Another option is to use either the Windows built in application, Snipping Tool. Or, something a bit more robust such as ShareX. Both tools allow you to take a screen shot of either the window, a defined area, or the entire screen. You can then send that to the client in whatever way you wish.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I can't wrap my head around wanting to create a proof from your RIP. Your proof should be a nicely formatted template with the artwork, specs, colors, sizes, etc. in it. Flexi can generate this, and you can create one for use in Illy or Corel or whatever you design with.
And I agree, to call setting crop marks, bleeds, rotations, etc. "design work" had me nearly choke on my sandwich.