Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proper ap tape?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by yeags, May 3, 2011.

1. yeags

yeags New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    So I notice when I print on vinyl, the ink seems to soften the adhesive quite a bit. I'm printing a two-piece vinyl graphic with contour cuts and need to apply ap tape. The normal ap tape I have is for regular sign vinyl and much too strong to release the cut vinyl. Is there a special kind of ap tape I need to buy that will release easier? Below is a photo for reference...

Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  2. njshorts

njshorts Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Meadville, PA
    I use R-Tape 4075-RLA conform series for everything, even print/plot applications. High tack, but releases easily without ink damage after install.

Might want to check to see how the ink is curing before jumping for a new tape though.

3. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    You can get low tack app tape specifically for digital prints but the R-Tape 4075-RLA conform mentioned above does just fine.

The thing with masking digital prints is to mask them and use them. Don't let them sit around with app tape on them regardless of what product you might be using to mask them.

4. njshorts

njshorts Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Meadville, PA
    great advise, i forgot about that one... masked one for a month, pulled ink :(

5. yeags

yeags New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Thanks for the tips!