• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Proper thickness for large banner

Baz

Hi guys.

I am preparing a quote for a customer that is in need of a 14'wx42'h banner. This will be installed at the top of a 16-18 story building going downwards. It will be flush to a concrete wall. I am having a hard time finding a supplyer that is capable of producing a two color blank for me. I have one supplyer that could do it using 18oz material but their welding machine is down for two weeks. Another supplyer could do it also but they only have 15oz material and they are suggesting re-enforcing the hems with a mesh material. Would this be good enough for this type of application or should i go with a thicker material?

And .... I am having a HELL of a time finding a banner blank supplyer in Canada. Trying Google is just so annoying. The most you get is other "local" search engines that refer you to every friggin sign shop that prints banners. Jeebus :frustrated:!!! Any one have suggestions on a large blank banner supplyer? (Canada or US).

Letterbox Mike

Why not just buy it printed ready to hang? That would not be fun (or cost effective) to try to vinyl letter a banner that big.

Baz

A banner that size hanging that high needs to be printed on 70/30 mesh vinyl.

Please explain why you say it needs to be mesh? Also .... i emailed Merrit with a quote request even though it would be relatively easy for me to letter this thing up. It's just single color verry simple text and graphic but yes i understand having it all printed up and delivered to my door ready to install would be great.

SeaWriter

Call Shomi in Toronto. 905 274 5537

They do nothing but banner finishing, welding, sewing and installations such as this one.
As long as it is installed correctly you can use 13oz flex. Most of the large banners on buildings in Canada are on 13oz flex (flat surfaces).
They have tons of experence with this size and application.