• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protecting Edge Printed RealGold vinyl?

I just finished this sign today, and I can't decided whether I should put a clear vinyl overlay over the RealGold or not. This is RealGold 22kt vinyl with shadows and outlines printed on a Gerber Edge with Gerber Color foil. According to RealGold, no lamination of their product is needed. It carries a 14 year warranty. What kind of durability can I expect from the Gerber foil? This sign will be on the front bumper of a fire truck, so it will see some abuse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 110

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The black foil is rated at 5 to 7 years. That and the film rating of 14 years are related to sun fade and weathering. Since it will likely be parked indoors, you should see a nearly unlimited life to the materials. The issue you will have the problem with is abrasion from road debris striking it and from being rubbed when cleaning ... so the gold rating will be far less than 14 years no matter what. You will still see a more than acceptable life from the sign if care is exercised when washing it so as not to rub any road grit around on it.

Thank you for the quick reply and great information! I'm probably getting close to owing you a steak dinner for all of the questions you've answered...

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Compared to that soda can that's a tiny sign.

If you have the lam in stock put it on, if not don't worry about it, road debris will nick it up before it fades
with or without lamination.

You can also hit it w/ a little clear...

Compared to that soda can that's a tiny sign.

If you have the lam in stock put it on, if not don't worry about it, road debris will nick it up before it fades
with or without lamination.

You can also hit it w/ a little clear...

Yes sir it is small, 3 1/2" tall by 24". The area of the front bumper where it will be going is only 3 3/4" tall so we had to work around that. I painted it with automotive base coat/clear coat, I guess I could've waited and cleared after I put the decals on. Hindsight is 20/20 though!