• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

protection for wrapped generator

petepaz

i am quoting a job to wrap a generator that will be installed on top of a sky scrapper in the city. customer is worried about it getting damaged while it's being hoisted to the top and i don't think it's a good idea to wrap it on top of a building that high (also having trouble finding workers who will work up there) aside from worrying about someone getting hurt i am concerned with the weather/wind conditions that could cause problems. my solution to the problem is to wrap it at their location, on the ground. then wrap the wrap with cardboard (4x8sheets) and stretch wrap the outside. i think that will protect the wrap from damage caused by chains and or rigging from the company lifting the unit. i would also assume the rigging company will be taking precautions as well. i don't think they want to risk damaging the unit regardless of a wrap on it or not.
pics attached.
anyone think of a better idea for protection or why this idea wouldn't work?

Attachments

• MIMA_Site (1).jpg
    MIMA_Site (1).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 210
  • MIMA_MN1004_MN1005 Container Pic.jpg
    MIMA_MN1004_MN1005 Container Pic.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 152
  • MIMA_MN1004_MN1005 Container Pic 2.jpg
    MIMA_MN1004_MN1005 Container Pic 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 170

CanuckSigns

i am quoting a job to wrap a generator that will be installed on top of a sky scrapper in the city. customer is worried about it getting damaged while it's being hoisted to the top and i don't think it's a good idea to wrap it on top of a building that high (also having trouble finding workers who will work up there) aside from worrying about someone getting hurt i am concerned with the weather/wind conditions that could cause problems. my solution to the problem is to wrap it at their location, on the ground. then wrap the wrap with cardboard (4x8sheets) and stretch wrap the outside. i think that will protect the wrap from damage caused by chains and or rigging from the company lifting the unit. i would also assume the rigging company will be taking precautions as well. i don't think they want to risk damaging the unit regardless of a wrap on it or not.
pics attached.
anyone think of a better idea for protection or why this idea wouldn't work?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the issue with working on the top of the building? aside from wind? It's not like you are balancing on a platform or anything, if you can find a calm day it shouldn't be an issue.

aside from that, your cardboard idea sounds solid.

I gotta wonder why someone would pay to wrap something that will never be seen!!

rjssigns

Bubble wrap over the wrap then shrink wrap over the bubble wrap. Cardboard is abrasive and will scratch without a barrier. You can put the cardboard over the top of the bubble/shrink for added dent protection.(we had some mega thick stuff)

I used to prep/ship equipment that had to arrive in pristine condition.

petepaz

not sure why they want to wrap it either but apparently their customer is concerned with the surrounding buildings looking at the unit up on the roof (like there is nothing else up there that is hard on the eye???) so they are going to use a sky graphic and wrap it...hey what ever they want to pay for is ok by me.
thanks for the input.
i personally have no worries of being up on the building but i can't force people to work up there. also it can be pretty windy up on top of those buildings so as long as i have an option to wrap it on the ground with in an enclosed area that's what i am pushing for.