• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Protective Coating on Boat Graphics??

Brandon708

Hi everyone,

I did some boat graphics (not a wrap, just cut vinyl) for a buddy of mine. I used Avery A9 and A high performance 3M Silver.

He had a guy off the old graphics also he brought it down to the paint by taking off the part of the gel coat or clear what ever its called on a boat.

My question is it safe to put a wax or 3M Hand Polish or glaze coat over the vinyl. He needs to do this to the whole boat.
I really want this vinyl to be protected and last on his boat. Is there any advice you can give me on protecting the vinyl.

Thanks,
Brandon

John Butto

gel coat

If it is a fiberglass boat the gelcoat is the top layer over the fiberglass and there will be no paint involved. The gelcoat is the color, gelcoat is a polyester two part mixture of hardener and gel with color mixed in. If you want to do the whole boat with a clear you use use a paint like AwlGrip which can either be sprayed (best method) or they make an additive to be brushed on. It can be sprayed over vinyl letters.

Billct2

It is fine to wax over the graphics. I recommend it on all signs & vehicle lettering.
The problem arise if they use a buffing machine too aggresively or a polish compound to clean the hull. You can do a real premium job by cutting a clear vinyl overlay slightly larger than the letters.

Brandon708

okay.

What i mean is that the boat needs something like wax or a polish because it was stripped of its shine. So would it be okay to use Polish or Wax over the letter. I guess this is a Yes.

rob6894

Yes I do a good amount of boats and not all with cast actually I have a fair amount I have done with iter and never use lam unless it is a printed job. As billct2 said you can wax over it without a problem, I just tell my customers to just wax over the lettering by hand .