• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PSD and EPS files with white background.

JFP Studios

I am new to Flexi 7. I have PSD and EPS files emailed to me that when I import them to add a contour cut line to print and cut they import with a white box background. The person emailing them to me has removed the background and cannot see it on his computer. Can anyone help me with why it does this?

Thank you for any help, this forum is great help.

ucmj22

I am not sure why it would do this other than just being the way flexi reads the data, but what is the problem with it being there?

JFP Studios

They build the complete design then email it to be printed and cut. The person that is importing the file into Flexi 7 says he cannot add the contour cut line around the design so it can be printed and contour cut because of the white box there. I dont do it so I dont really know why he cant add this cut line.

strypguy

Depending on the file, sometimes you can right click on the design and ungroup everything. Then see if you can select the background and delete it. There can be multiple ones(layers) so delete until they are all gone if needed.

John

Flexible sees the PSD like a jpeg, if the eps was created in PS it will probably be the same way but you can try to unmask it. You can alway create a mask for it if that doesn't work.

ucmj22

If you have illustrator you could just live trace to create the cut line. Sorry I can't be more help.

jrsc

if the ungroup thing doesn't work try going to arrange > mask > unmask. you will then probably get a black box you have to delete.

Drip Dry

If the original file was created in Photoshop, the only type of file that can be exported from it is a jpeg type file. Just by exporting to an Eps file, doesn't give you the vector lines you need to add the contour cut lines.

If it was vector artwork to start with, your customer may be able to export it to an EPS from Illustrator. You would then need to > ungroup the artwork in Flexi and then unmask it. If your able to unmask it, you would delete the black box it creates. You may have to do this step multiple times until you can see all the artwork.

If you can't get to the Vector artwork, then your only choice is to draw a line around the area that you want the cutline. Assign the cutline, and once it's printed and cut, you weed out the white box.

Last idea, send the file to a service such as Vector Dr. or others and have them vectorize it. If the file has pictures or gradients in it and you have to print that paticular file, you can take the vector cut lines you need from the vectorized file and overlay the cut lines on top of the original file in Flexi. Export the file from Flexi with the new contour cut lines as an EPS file and print and cut.

strypguy

oops yep the unmask option is what I meant. then you may have to ungroup to get the background.

John

graywoulf

Another view on this subject

What you are probably seeing is the "Bounding Box" in which the original file was created. Depending on which version of Flexi you are using, you can sometimes get around this problem by using the "Make transparent" function under the "Bitmap" tab in Flexi and clicking the white area(s) around the object to get rid of the box. I hope this helps.