• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Psychological Challenges of Business Ownership

graphix45

I know how you feel. I used to manage a retail store that the owner was never there. He told me to run it like it was mine. Which means all of the stress & headaches of ownership without any reward. The only good thing was not having money invested. I would get "burntout" 3-4 times a year. I would do things like rearrange the showroom, work area, or create a new area to showcase different products. Now that I have been in the sign business for a little over 5 years, I also get a little slack from time to time. Once a year I redo or add something in the shop, maybe something as simple as re-painting the front of the shop or re-doing some of my display signs (color chart or font guide). The main thing is to keep things in your shop fresh. It's like going to the same store over & over, and seeing the same displays & products, then one day you go in & everything is rearranged, new displays and you instantly feel more energy and want to look around to see whats new. As far as taking time off...I just took as few days off & for me it was hard to get back going when I got back to work.
Good Luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something to think about...... when you start getting lonely, instead of getting on the internet and getting into trouble.... go pound the pavements and talk to strangers about doing business... sign business.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Something to think about...... when you start getting lonely, instead of getting on the internet and getting into trouble.... go pound the pavements and talk to strangers about doing business... sign business.

No problem with that. It's just that I miss the intellectual "sparring" that helps produce new ideas. As mentioned, I'm a voracious learner...and reader so I'm never at a loss for content.

I did take some time off yesterday to tinker in the shop. I expanded my book shelves in the office by 33%. Ah...the smell of fresh pine.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I took off about an hour yesterday and put some reflective chevron stripes on the back of one of our new trucks. That also included putting some red reflective around the base of the bucket.

Now, I just have to find someone to take care of the rust at the bottom of the doors.... then I can waste some time and mess that up some more.

GB2

Old Member
If you aren't in the position to hire someone capable of being that person you could share ideas with then hey, you could always get on the phone and call a friend in the business to talk about things, ideas, questions, etc. I'll send you my number if you want to do that.

James Burke

If you aren't in the position to hire someone capable of being that person you could share ideas with then hey, you could always get on the phone and call a friend in the business to talk about things, ideas, questions, etc. I'll send you my number if you want to do that.

Thanks,

JB

Robert M

Business owners

Try to meet some other small business owners, have lunch with one once a month, expands the mind.

James Burke

Try to meet some other small business owners, have lunch with one once a month, expands the mind.

That was one of my first goals...however the main person I wanted to keep in contact with was always "too busy" to discuss business strategies or new ideas...and , sadly, has since closed his store and let the building default back to the landlord.

I had tried to warn him of the new competition (from two fronts) that was sneaking up on him but he didn't want to discuss the matter.

Here's a word to the wise...if you don't know what SWOT means, or how to conduct a competetive analysis, you'd better start figuring it out soon. He waited until it was way to late.

JB

deegrafix

I have that blah feeling too, and am having a harder time than usual shaking it off. People are telling me I may be getting "older" and am just missing that youthful energy that kept me a workaholic for so many years. Sorry, but that is not an option! I feel like if anything I should be more focused than ever since I am not where I had hoped to be by now in the financial comfort category. Vacation you say? Hmm.... Someplace with no signs. Hahahaha.

ICeMAnAbk

Everyone hits that rut. Thought, there are some ways to get energized and out of the rut, only to return to it later on once that luster is gone.

I see a lot saying hit the pavement and go talk to new businesses. True! However, also, Ive suggest maybe getting involved in some non profit orgs. Doesn't mean you have to give give give give, though, helping out your fellow church, firehouse, chamber, or other non profits does help you feel a bit better about who you and what you're doing in your community. People in turn, will see this, and come knocking.

However, don't go do volunteer work or join a local club with the expectation of getting jobs out of it. Though, it seems you've been in for 6yrs now, I know at my 6yr mark I had that lack of drive at times. This was a big pick me up back then. I got involved with the Free Masons and their red house (Shriners) for a fund raising concert. +30,000 attended, lots of money raised for child burn centers (the big part of what the masons support). Felt good to just be a part of it. Not sure what new customers I got from the event, didn't really care at the time. Just was envigorating to do that.

Volunteering, clubs, non profit orgs. Give it a try.