• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pub Logo

Justin

Can I be alittle different than your usual cheerleaders, and ask why you never do anything with vibrant colors, or without a modern retro look? I mean your website, your avatar, and most of the samples minus the modern looking girl character everything seems modern retro-ey. Is it just what you like, or ?

Circleville Signs

Can I be alittle different than your usual cheerleaders, and ask why you never do anything with vibrant colors, or without a modern retro look? I mean your website, your avatar, and most of the samples minus the modern looking girl character everything seems modern retro-ey. Is it just what you like, or ?

Please dont' anyone think that I'm speaking FOR Joe here, but I can venture a guess.

Joe knows what he is GOOD AT. Now, he can DO other things, just like Dan Antonelli can. However, he is KNOWN for a specific style. Because of that, he is recognized as an expert in that style. He can create more demand and therefore charge higher rates because of that.

Specializing is a good thing when you are EXCELLENT at what you specialize in.

Justin

Thanks for replying without immediately thinking I'm stirring trouble. I actually like the retro look, but was more curious then anything else. The style he specializes in reminds me of old ice cream type paintings, and some reason reminds me of flavors like cream sickle, etc..

Flubber

noob question.....how do i create a bevel effect like that?

is it done by hand?

Last edited:

S'N'S

Love the design. They're gonna get really tired of hearing "What's a Poo Thirteen?"

You always do amazing work but can I say when I looked at the picture before reading your post, the first thought was "whats a PU13" as Pat said. Will the public pick up on it when it isn't explained, not sure if it needs 2 thirteens.

Joe Diaz

I never asked for cheerleaders. I actually enjoy the challenge that comes with some good old fashioned criticism when it comes to design work. So fire away. I get it from my clients all the time.

However I'm confused by your question about "vibrant colors". I always thought that I used nice vibrant colors in my design. but then again I'm partially colorblind:wink:. This is certainly one of the first times someone has told me that I never do anything with vibrant colors. Perhaps I haven't been and no one has told me for what ever reason. Perhaps I need to start doing that more. What vibrant colors do you have in mind?

As far as style, I'm sure I have one, I try to switch it up from time to time. When people ask me to do design work for them, part of that process involves me figuring out what type of style they like. The sift through our portfolio and pick out other designs we have done, so that may play a role on what you are picking up on.

I wouldn't say I only do "retro" or just "modern" but "modern retro-ey" seems like an oxymoron. Whatever my style may be has probably been influenced by the designers I look up to, and also being raised in this industry and growing up around classic sign makers a generation or two older than me. So I would admit that it is difficult to fight that influence, but since it isn't really hurting my career, that influence can't be all that bad.

Anyway, I'm always trying to improve, so I'll be keeping what you said in mind as I move forward. :peace!:

Justin

Joe,
I know you didn't ask for cheerleaders, I didn't mean for that to really sound how it probably did, sorry. I definitely think you have a style like most of us probably do, you know like your favorite frame style, or font style, etc.. Kind of like people you know have their own style of dressing themselves.

The modern part, I hope you,and the others don't take this wrong, but the style I invision, or perceive is 1950s. I'm sure you've seen the vintage ice cream signs, and soda signs. When I said vibrant I guess I really mean like pastel colors.. Like if I said pink, then your color would be a lighter pink like pastel pink instead of a Barbie pink. These pictures just remind me so much of your art style.. especially#1 and the last 4.
http://imgur.com/a/6L7U0
Please, I hope you, and others don't take it negatively, I actually think its pretty cool, but it's just my observation, and opinion.

Moze

Now I want a dreamsicle, thanks a lot.

I think the logo looks great, Joe. I wouldn't change a thing on it. And I see "PUB/13" before I see "PU 13" I think you blended the two items perfectly. Well done.

However I'm confused by your question about "vibrant colors". I always thought that I used nice vibrant colors in my design. but then again I'm partially colorblind:wink:. This is certainly one of the first times someone has told me that I never do anything with vibrant colors. Perhaps I haven't been and no one has told me for what ever reason. Perhaps I need to start doing that more. What vibrant colors do you have in mind?
:

I have also noticed that you use more pastel, subdued colors than some, but it fits your style perfectly and I actually figured you use those colors on purpose. Most of your color choices feel very "earthy" to me and I like it. I think if you went with more blazing colors it wouldn't really suit your style.

10sacer

My only critique of the logo is the yellow "13".
If the design works in the greyscale one with the "13" being the same color - then it should also work with the "13" being white like the "P" and the "U" in the color version. You will either see it or you don't (Like the FedEx arrow). But its reinforced with the script Thirteen anyway. Imagine how many inebriated people will feel special about themselves when they stare at their coasters long enough and say, "Hey! Look what I see!"

Either way works for me. Looks great. I'm just saying...

Dan Antonelli

Very tight brother. I'm not a huge fan of that LH font for the script as the lowercase R connector actually always bothered me. But probably some mild typography OCD on my part.

Nice work as always pal.

Joe Diaz

Some of you guys about had me sold on the white B/13. I was definitively on the fence about it. The client just stopped in and I showed him both options. He really liked the yellow B/13, but he's going to take the sketch back and stew over it and probably show it around:omg:. So we will see. But I explained to him both sides of the coin. Honestly I think either way it's going to work out fine for them. I had different color options to show him too. One with a green instead of the blue and another with a brown background. He likes the brown one the best. I know it's not "vibrant", but you can blame that one on the client this time, not me. LOL

Very tight brother. I'm not a huge fan of that LH font for the script as the lowercase R connector actually always bothered me. But probably some mild typography OCD on my part.

Nice work as always pal.

I see what you mean. I could probably manually beef that part up rather than lose the whole font, because there are parts of that script that I really like, and i feel like it fills that space just right.