• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Punctuation/Comma help needed

Andy D

As I have said before, commas have never made sense to me & I'm
about to order a $5k bronze plaque. I need to make sure it's right.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm only looking for input from punctuation gurus...
I added a comma on the 4th line down at " AS EARLY AS 1877, THE SCHOOL WAS REFERRED TO AS UNION ACADEMY." Is that correct? What about the other years?

Attachments

• punctuation check.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 201

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Yes, the dates at the beginning of the sentences should have commas.

I would prefer different wording for "run through" (perhaps, change to "under the auspices of").

And "run by" (perhaps change to "administered by"). These changes would also require further punctuation.

Letter spacing and inter-word spacing is also in need of a little attention as it appears to run together. If they'd let you, I'd pull the school seal down and center justify with the board, and let the both share the bottom 1/3 of the plaque. This would allow you to enlarge the main text...which is really the most important factor here.

Also, shorten the length of the ruled line so it does not extend beyond the main text. It feels like it is crowing your margins. Beyond that, it seems a fuzz bold...almost the height of your main text. Yes, you want a separation, but not an intrusion.

We typically like to design with a minimum of 1 inch between text / elements and the inside of the border. Negative space is your friend, and it works just the same here as with a sign layout.

P.S. You don't mention the plaque size, but typically 1/4" is the smallest letter size for cast bronze, so check accordingly.

JB

Last edited:

James Burke

what does auspices mean?

I like the "administered by" suggestion too.

under the auspices of/ under someone's auspices. phrase. If something is done under the auspices of a particular person or organization, or under someone's auspices, it is done with their support and approval. [formal]

Since it's for a school, it should sound a bit more formal than it currently is.

JB

Andy D

Yes, the dates at the beginning of the sentences should have commas.

I would prefer different wording for "run through" (perhaps, change to "under the auspices of").

And "run by" (perhaps change to "administered by"). These changes would also require further punctuation.

Letter spacing and inter-word spacing is also in need of a little attention as it appears to run together. If they'd let you, I'd pull the school seal down and center justify with the board, and let the both share the bottom 1/3 of the plaque. This would allow you to enlarge the text...which is really the most important factor here.

Also, shorten the length of the ruled line so it does not extend beyond the main text. It feels like it is crowing your margins. We typically like to design with a minimum of 1 inch between text / elements and the inside of the border. Negative space works here just the same as with in a sign layout.

P.S. You don't mention the plaque size, but typically 1/4" is the smallest letter size for cast bronze, so check accordingly.

JB

Thank you both for your input.
The main copy is almost 1/2".
While I agree with everything you said, this layout was sent to the school from the Architects, every major change has to go thru a committee & this has been going back
and forth for three months.
When you say "Letter spacing and inter-word spacing" do you mean kerning and spacing between the words?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
! agree with the previous posters. "ADMINISTERED BY" instead of "RUN THROUGH" and "RUN BY".
The cooma in "AS EARLY AS 1877, ..." is a stylistic choice (there is a natural pause after this introductory clause). "IN 1869, ..." does not have a natural pause and a comma is not desired, although not incorrect.
Just my opinion as a reformed grammar Nazi.
Mr. Burke's comments regarding layout and letter size should also be considered.
I often struggle with usage and spelling in this business. Spelling and usage errors are common in this business. Apostrophes are notoriously mis-used. Good thing I don't write books!

James Burke

When you say "Letter spacing and inter-word spacing" do you mean kerning and spacing between the words?

Essentially, yes. But I wanted to be specific about it since the term "kerning" can also apply to individual or specific letter pairings.

If you have time, try some of the changes mentioned and compare the two. Architects are good at what they do (designing buildings), but not always so in the graphic design department.

JB

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I came here thinking I could help but I guess I'm not as good as I thought. My bosses daughter is in the 99% percentile in punctuation. I'll ask her if I see her!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Commas always follow the year, if it's not the end of a sentence. Also, you might want to consider a period after the U. and S.

Andy D

Oh hell no. Send proof to customer, with a friendly reminder to double check this content and fax back with signature, because this is your $10k plaque!
I'm sure you're doing this anyway, right?
Yes Sir!

Also, is the falcon and shield supposed to be off center, or did somebody just autocenter it without noticing the left side of the ribbon is just a bit longer than the right?
That's their logo. It needs to turned into line art, I usually do that myself... but this one I might send to the Dr.

James Burke

Fancy words for fancy signs

So a few of you learned a new word today. That's awesome!

Ok, so it is a bit fancy schmancy. Andy will look like a hero if or when he presents it to the board.

But be sure, it's pronounced "aw - spe - sis". And has nothing to do with that spice in pumpkin pie...or salmon...or gumdrops...honest.

JB

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I know I can not help, I will remain here quietly watching to learn & maintain my jerk status at its current level.
(Grammarly removed the comma I added to its)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cwazy Wabbit.......... They ain't periods. . . They is Ellipses. However, several in a row.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
If you have not already, double check the sentence that starts with "IN1877,"
As others have pointed out, a comma is needed after a year in that place in the sentence.