• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Putting Gloss Overlays on a Matte finish Wrap...Suggestions??

Tek Wrap

We are wrapping a side x side with a wrap that has a matte overlaminate. the customer wants some stripe overlays in a gloss finish. In the past I have had issues getting wrap to stick to 3M matte overlam. Anyone know a good combo for this, or done this successfully?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can you find a suitable color using regular die-cutting vinyl ?? That should stick without a problem.

ikarasu

Are you using 8520? We overlay on it a lot without issues... If its flat, or semi curved you'll be ok. If you're going into a big recess... it doesnt hurt to primer it.

Heck... if you know where the strip is going, you can use Masking / knifeless tape and then primer everywhere the stripe will be, go overtop of it... remove the masking / use knifeless if thats how you're doing the stripe, and it'll pull both vinyls off before the gloss would lift.

Tek Wrap

Double checked my info.....we used an avery, matte, cast lam previously. So maybe the 3M 8520 will work better with overlays. We will give it a try! Thank you!