Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVC foam for this outdoor sign?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by InnovativeSigns, Oct 4, 2018.

1. InnovativeSigns

InnovativeSigns New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    Indiana
    I have a possible customer that wants the sign in the attached pictures, remade. She says that she likes the thick, wood appearance and that it has already been redone and repainted once before. I'm not sure how long ago it was redone, but I know the sign is 25 years old. I was thinking PVC foam if I can get a company in my area to route it for me but wanted to see what you guys thought. Routed PVC foam and paint it or use something else?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    HDU or 1" routed PVC would work. We use more PVC than HDU BUT to each his own. I would routed down about 3/16" or 1/4" and it should be just fine

3. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Exterior grade PVC works fine outside. I'd buy a sheet of 1" and a sheet of 1/2". Cut the shape out of 1" and texture it (if desired). Cut the raised border and letters out of 1/2". Paint and then assemble.

4. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    That sign is most appropriately done with 2" HDU foam without a doubt

5. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    I would route pvc and pocket the letters just 1/16 deeper then route the letters out of 12 mil pvc you could also have the other parts done this way and then paint the parts and inset the painted stuff.