• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC free adhesive films

Christian @ 2CT Media

Bly is located in Australia. What exactly is happening in Australia right now? MILLIONS and MILLIONS of acres of land is on fire. That qualifies as an inferno where I come from.

What is ridiculous is the irony of a signmaker in AUSTRALIA whose biggest industry and largest export is COAL decrying climate change as his country burns up.

PVC is a known carcinogen. You can insult me all you like, but every word I spoke is true.

I can also guarantee that my carbon footprint is infinitely lower than yours.
You do realize that most of those fires were started as Arson correct? There are over 100 people being charged with arson... So how is that cause by PVC?

My carbon footprint isn't a concern, as my personal and commercial footprint is miniscule in the grand scheme of nature. So as you focus on shrinking your footprint, I'll focus on changes I can actually control and effect like my family and employees families livelihood and comfort.

Bly

Bly is located in Australia. What exactly is happening in Australia right now? MILLIONS and MILLIONS of acres of land is on fire. That qualifies as an inferno where I come from.

What is ridiculous is the irony of a signmaker in AUSTRALIA whose biggest industry and largest export is COAL decrying climate change as his country burns up.

PVC is a known carcinogen. You can insult me all you like, but every word I spoke is true.

Before you go pointing any fingers have a look at your own country's carbon emissions, Toad.
We contribute 1% of the global total - the USA is the second biggest emitter in total.
So you could argue that your country is destroying the world's climate and has caused our recent fires.
Sorry to pour logic on your ignorance.
And when did I decry climate change? I was asking for signmaking solutions to a business problem.

union-concerned-scientists-emissions-pie-chart_0.png

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You do realize that most of those fires were started as Arson correct? There are over 100 people being charged with arson...

No, incorrect... It's propaganda to blame fires on arson (0.03% in Victoria) so they can continue to refute science that shows climate change trends.
According to the RFS (Rural Fire Service) most fires have been ignited by lightning strikes onto very dry land.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ggerating-arsons-role-in-australian-bushfires

But as Bly has mentioned... we are veering off track of the original intent of the thread so lets try get it back to where it was.

TimToad

Before you go pointing any fingers have a look at your own country's carbon emissions, Toad.
We contribute 1% of the global total - the USA is the second biggest emitter in total.
So you could argue that your country is destroying the world's climate and has caused our recent fires.
Sorry to pour logic on your ignorance.
And when did I decry climate change? I was asking for signmaking solutions to a business problem.

union-concerned-scientists-emissions-pie-chart_0.png

First, I wasn't blaming you or anyone for adding to climate change. We ALL are adding to it. You most certainly were whining about being asked to change a business practice out of a major client's concern about the environment. If your question was just about a material choice or option, you'd have skipped the whole denigration of the idea of climate change.

I'll be the first one to place the vast majority of blame where it belongs, the country that developed mass industry, oil exploration, mass consumerism as a lifestyle and then exported it all to the world. That would be the U.S.

What shouldn't be ignored as you try to wash your hands of any responsibility is that your country's largest industry and export is COAL, an incredibly dirty energy source and a key cause of climate change. I'd add that your two biggest customers are the three countries with the biggest pink slices on the pie chart.

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member

Fires were started BY PEOPLE......

Police have charged at least 24 people for intentionally starting bushfires in the state of New South Wales, according to a statement the New South Wales Police released Monday.
NSW Police have taken legal action against 183 people, 40 of whom are juveniles, for fire-related offenses since November 8, the statement said. The legal actions range from cautions to criminal charges.
Out of those 183 people, 53 have received cautions or criminal charges for failing to comply with a total fire ban and 47 are accused of discarding a lit cigarette or match on land, according to the police statement.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Toad, is there anything you DON'T complain about or have some foil hat theory ?? Your judgements and accusations are most horrid towards really good members here and your insight does nothing to help the original post, then to flame as usual. Talk about their fires... you ain't far from it. I thought I was bad, but you take the cake..... and then some. How 'bout toning it down a tad and participate with something you know ?? Whatever that might be...............

TimToad

No, incorrect... It's propaganda to blame fires on arson (0.03% in Victoria) so they can continue to refute science that shows climate change trends.
According to the RFS (Rural Fire Service) most fires have been ignited by lightning strikes onto very dry land.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ggerating-arsons-role-in-australian-bushfires

But as Bly has mentioned... we are veering off track of the original intent of the thread so lets try get it back to where it was.

Hey, I was just trying to point out the irony in someone from Australia dismissing climate change and whining about being forced to take the environmental concerns of a client in account as his country burns up.

TimToad

BBC cites the co-director of Australia's National Centre for Research in Bushfire and Arson as saying that 50% of bushfires each year may be deliberately set. 13% proven arson, 37% suspicious for arson. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50400851

People all over the planet do prescribed burns to clear brush and LOWER fire risk. The problem is that not all are careful about it and conditions on the ground make it easy for what starts as a controlled burn to get out of control.

Most of the fires in Australia were started by lightning strikes as are most wildfires around the planet. Regardless of how they started, they started and are now marching their way throughout the country.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
People all over the planet do prescribed burns to clear brush and LOWER fire risk. The problem is that not all are careful about it and conditions on the ground make it easy for what starts as a controlled burn to get out of control.

Most of the fires in Australia were started by lightning strikes as are most wildfires around the planet. Regardless of how they started, they started and are now marching their way throughout the country.

And THIS explains your theory on "whining about being asked to change a business practice" ?? You certainly do not fit in with a normal crown of people. Like I said a long time ago..... you must be a blast at a party. Must be why you go to all those gummy bear parties. It's the only way anyone could possibly tolerate your ignorance and social skills.

Now, you're an expert on Australian fires and the root cause(s). What's next :banghead:

Bly

Asking if anyone had discovered greener adhesive film options = whining about anything?

Ok Toad. Thanks for your contributions to the thread.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We got quoted for the 3174 and the 3891 (numbers may be wrong lol) and they’re twice the price of our regular counterparts.

not sure if our supplier is just avoiding stocking it or if we just get a great deal on the PVC stuff because we buy so much.

still definitely something we’ll look at and speak to customers about. Can always just charge the customers double lol

unclebun

From Grimco, a 54"x50yd roll of PVC Orajet 3164 is $146.80. 4 year durability. The 3174 is $446.52. 2 year durability.

TimToad

We got quoted for the 3174 and the 3891 (numbers may be wrong lol) and they’re twice the price of our regular counterparts.

not sure if our supplier is just avoiding stocking it or if we just get a great deal on the PVC stuff because we buy so much.

still definitely something we’ll look at and speak to customers about. Can always just charge the customers double lol

I think the number is 3981RA. Came up at $737.99 for 54'x150' on Fellers.

https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/orajet-3981ra-premium-eco-digital-print

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Asking if anyone had discovered greener adhesive film options = whining about anything?

Ok Toad. Thanks for your contributions to the thread.
Maybe Tim does not speak Australian and misunderstood you.

Hopefully you guys get those fires under control soon - I read coal-burning yanks flew in last week to help out.

Bly

Maybe Tim does not speak Australian and misunderstood you.

Hopefully you guys get those fires under control soon - I read coal-burning yanks flew in last week to help out.

Thanks mate. Some decent rain is forecast for the next few days, finally.
We sent people to California last summer so payback is wonderful.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...rnia-fires-now-americans-are-returning-favor/

Re the toad - I think he only speaks libtardish. Sorry... I don't speak that.

ikarasu

Non PVC Film is new, and not as wide spread used right now... so it's going to cost more. Material is like 20% of the cost of a job for us.. so while it is a big hit, we usually charge the clients that want it more, and it makes up for it.

I don't think it really helps the environment TBH. You still cant recycle the paper, both the paper and the film end up in the garbage can... yes, it doesnt last as long in the garbage, but it's still there. Global warming is real, and we do all contribute to it - but I don't think switching to non PVC film is going to help at all. Its probably 0.0005% of the plastics in the ocean.

What I wish these vendors trying to go green would do... Is use a liner we can recycle. We used to give it away to painters...crafters, schools... But when you have a few rolls a day, it starts adding up. We have a big 20 FT garbage container that gets filled up every 1 - 2 weeks, and 90% of it is liner paper, or offcut material we can't recycle.

There are better ways to help reduce your carbon footprint than this material... but its the same with the plastic straw. Plastic straws acount for .025% of the plastic in the ocean - But most places are banning them... it's all for optics... Non PVC vinyl is the same.

BUT... if a customer wants to go PVC free, just charge them for it - Who cares if it's a $200, or a 400 roll...the more expensive the material the higher your profit margin should be. And selling it as cancer free, good for the environment material is a great marketing scheme, even if it is BS.

jasonx

PE and PP can be recycled easier and for a profit. The label industry is an example with a big uptake of PE and PP self adhesive films. The problem with PVC at the moment is that recycling it costs more than it earns. We're working with manufacturers at the moment for PE alternatives to PVC banner etc where there are current recycling programs in our country. Not sure about the United States. We recycle/reuse all our PP, HDPE/PE, Cardboard, Paper, Timber Pallets. We've spoken to recycling companies in regards to PVC and there isn't a process at the moment that's viable.

heyskull

I'm using 3M 480c as in the UK 3M are trying their best to remove their PVC materials.
Only thing is it is a big big secret what these materials are based on and will only discuss them with third parties (your client/customer).
I reckon these materials will in the long run be more expensive to produce and cause more damage to make and recycle.
Sadly they have created all these new materials but have not implemented any way to recycle it after end of life or the wate created in the manufacturing process as a signmaker/printer.

SC