• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC in outdoor/fluctuating temperatures?

Chriswagner92

I have a customer that wants to get double sided 3/4" PVC signs made up, possibly routed on both sides but I think I have more concerns about the material than she does, and wanted to get more insight about the product and its limitations. 1: The customer is in Mass. so there is probably going to be some pretty heavy temperature difference going on between winter and summer, will the PVC warp in a few weeks/months/years? 2: when it is cold how prone to cracking/breaking is it? I'm not too sure of how cold it gets up there but I'm worried if they get a strong wind it will just fall apart. 3: Double-Sided and Routed? I was a little confused at this myself, the routed part would have to be so shallow to leave enough material there for it to still be strong, am I right?. I think that is it for now... oh BTW we get our PVC from N Glantz, not sure what manufacturer we get though, I have the lady there checking it out for me also. I would love to hear some of you more experienced guys opinions on the material.

Chriswagner92

D/F and routed...

I would say 1.5" thick minimum (HDU or cedar/redwood)

if HDU, inner framework depending on size
I knew I forgot something, She wants to hang them from existing 4x4 beams, there small road signs, so there really isn't any way to get any extra framework up there, also we would be shipping the panels out, unless we get in contact with a wholesaler up there. Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is HDU? is that like the Nu-Alum (wood with aluminum faces). I have been trying to convince her to go with just straight .060 aluminum with vinyl lettering for it to last the longest.