• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PVC post sleeves without posts?

unclebun

First of all..... I got the impression there was to be 2 posts with a sign, not one post per sign. Anyway, where was it mentioned he was going to be putting a metal stake inside it ?? I thought he wanted to know if he could just use the sleeve ?? You mentioned it, but how far in the ground do those stakes go ??

Yes, he asked about setting PVC post sleeves in the ground. I doubt he'd be using two 4.25"x4.25" posts for a single 18x24. That would look really strange. Way too thick legs for a sign that small.

What I suggested was buying a system made for doing exactly what he wants to do, one which obviates the need for digging 3' holes in front of every house for no good reason. Price-wise, it is favorable to the cost of buying post covers at the local home improvement store. If you would spend just 60 seconds browsing the vendor's website, you'd see that the stakes come in two lengths. The standard goes 18" into the ground, and there is a portion welded to the stake above ground that goes up into the post. This is from a vinyl post and panel company which also sells frames.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I've used their stuff already, but never used that setup, as we never felt it a really good option for permanent signs.... or temporary for that fact. However, even with an 18" rod or whatever it is, you still need to know what's down there, so you don't puncture and ruin something underground..... or maybe I should say around here you can't just go sticking 60 rods in the ground without trouble knocking at your door. Don't you still hafta call 800-DIG or whatever it is out your way ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Always call Dig811.

Just add this to each install line and you can charge more. It's the law and not an optional fee.

"Verify sign footing installation location and mark with flags. Submit Dig Ticket request with Texas811. Verify markings and follow up after location service"

rossmosh

Why not buy PVC Fence post instead of the sleeve? It's designed for what you're looking for and you won't need to screw around with painting pressure treated wood.

Also, don't go 12" deep. It's not deep enough. Go 24". You're just asking for trouble if you go shallow.

wesley

Thanks alot everone for your input on this. I beleive I am going to go with the 4ever post as mentioned. Complete setup of ground rod, vinyl post sleeve and cap for $46... cant hardly beat it. and as I said these are temporary so this would be the ideal setup.
Thanks again!!!!!