• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Q: How would you do it?

No Name

I´m asked to make several outdoor signs that would need to have a blank segment in what the info needs to be quickly and easily changed on daily bases, sometimes even many times per day.
As an example, seller has 7 different products and the product varies daily.

How would you make this changeable area so that it´s clean and easy to work with.

I´m thinking about printed magnetic sheets, but I´m open to other ideas.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Track and either individual letters or a whole word on a clear panel.

Magnetics means you hafta have a steel background. That could get very heavy.​

jwlllpl

I have been wondering about the Gans iDot 4mil printable film. It says its removable and bubble free. I have not had an opportunity to use it yet so not sure how well it prints but this might be a solution for you without the heavy weight of steel. I am sure you could get a sample from Gans to try it or maybe call them to see if is right for this application.

ikarasu

We use visual magnetics. Make your sign like usual.... Use double sided tissue tape and some vehicle grade magnet cut to the shape you want to be blank.

You print on this really thin material that's laced with steel... It's lighter than vinyl. That will be the removable pieces your client puts into the magnet whenever he wants. You add maybe 2-3 lbs to the sign , and the customer will keep coming back to you to print the stuff.

Dan360

I would screw an outdoor snap frame to it and give them laminated paper posters or vinyl on styrene to put inside. Find one at the size you're looking for and design the sign to incorporate it.

Edit: Unless it's a very large area that needs to be changed out.

Edit2: There are also banner stretch frames that just hook into grommets if you need to go really big.

Last edited:

ikarasu

K... I'm back in the shop, sorry for the little information I provided!

This is a video of how it works. (Not my video!) So it'll stick to any magnet... we did a 24 x 48 sign with it, and the printed part was like 2 lbs or something.

It's called Ultraflex signetics... theres a few companies that make the material, but this was what we tried...and it worked, so we havent tried or even priced the others.

http://www.ultraflexx.com/signetics/

Theory behind it is you take some magnetic roll..cut it to the shape of whatever size they need, glue or double sided tape it onto the sign... Then you print all their little decals with this stuff, and they can easily change it. That said... it's magnetic, so anyone can easily grab it and steal it if it's an outside sign.

It's a 2 part system, they sell the magnetic stuff... and the magnetic receptive media. I think their magnetic was really expensive... So we just used car magnet and it worked perfectly.

bannertime

I think there are some good options here. Here's another possibility: Grimco has released a steel faced composite that's magnetic receptive.

ikarasu

Their magnetic alupanel (linked above) was great. I couldn't Bend it with my hands... It was really expensive though... So we opted not.to use it. Plus at the time I was told it's an European product and not stocked locally. They wanted a month lead time on it.

This was when it first came out though, so prices may have come down and it may now be stocked. But it was nearly indestructible... A little heavier than dibond, so that would also work.

mkmie

Lost Soul
I think there are some good options here. Here's another possibility: Grimco has released a steel faced composite that's magnetic receptive.
Good product MaxMetal Steel. Used it for magnet dry erase board. They won't cut the sheet, at least not here in the Chicago area. Says it chews up their blade too much.