• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Q: profiling, Roland, custom ICC

96XP

Hello, am seeking guidance in getting better quality / more accurate RGB prints from a Roland 6 color.

I have been reviewing different color meters such as the X-Rite etc, though am not sure what others may be relying on to calibrate and create custom profiles for their printers.

Can anyone offer their experience, or to point me to a particular thread?

Thank you.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You're at the start of a long road....
all spectrophotometers do the same thing. The difference is how they work. I.e. Manual reading, automatic ect. And also some have other features.

Xrite i1 profiler is good enough for anyone. And it's a good start as it comes with plenty of software to create profiles and do other things.
I personally use Barbieri devices. SpectroPad and a LFP. But they are much more expensive and come with no software.

Andy_warp

Are you using a RIP?

Many of them have color profiling modules (at an upcharge)
Most have a list of "supported" devices.

Xrite has it's own profiling software, but then entails importing your profile into your print rip.
I've heard some rips do not like this. It's pretty stock and will run you a couple grand.
Barbeiri is a nice product...and four or five times more costly.

I've built profiles in Onyx and Caldera through their "wizards"
Pretty easy, but I already had a pretty solid understanding of ink limits/calibrations/spot color management/digital workflow.

Not rocket science...but it was a process that took years. I will absolutely NEVER go back to canned profiles.
Custom profiles are where it's at. Depending on your experience you may be better off on having a service profile your system.
Many people tasked with the "doing" don't have time for the "building"

There's no shame in paying an expert. I ran across many obstacles, but building an awesome profile was very rewarding for me.