• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Code size

ova

I'll try this again out here in the open forums.

We have Realtor customer wanting his QR Code added to 18x24 yard type signs. They are normally placed on the roadside anywhere from 6 to 20 feet away.

How big does the code have to be in order for people in cars traveling at least 20mph to able to scan them on a phone? Or is this even possible? Seems like the code would be distorted to the point of the phone not being able to pick it up.

I have no experience with QR Codes and this is my first go with them.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Dave

qmr55

guess off the top of my head: as big as possible (18"x18")

+1 if it is even readable by the phones, my guess would be that as well.

It's hard enough taking a picture going by something going 25, having a phone read the QR code I can only imagine would be tougher.

ucmj22

nobody will be scanning these while driving, GUARANTEED. most people interested in a house will circle the block, get out and grab a flyer or zap the code. in that case you could make it as small as 3X3.

signswi

Scanning while driving doesn't work, which is why QR codes on billboards are stupid. ucmj22 is on the money.

Locals Find!

Speaking as someone who does a lot of these. I also have a brand for just for this product. So, I know what I am talking about.

I make my QR codes no smaller than 7" x 7" square on a sign. Any smaller and its to difficult to scan any larger you lose to much area on the sign for other information.

Also, make sure the website its going to is mobile optimized. Customers hate nothing worse than pulling up a website for a listing and its not been mobile optimized. I have done the market research on this. If you need help with this send me a pm and I can help you out.

signswi

Doesn't matter if it will scan or not, no one is doing it. In the time period it takes to drive by the mark has to notice the sign, realize it has a qr code, get out their phone, launch their qr scan app, and take the moment for the app to recognize the code. Not happening. They're for walk-up (and direct mail, magazine, etc.) applications only.

Locals Find!

Doesn't matter if it will scan or not, no one is doing it. In the time period it takes to drive by the mark has to notice the sign, realize it has a qr code, get out their phone, launch their qr scan app, and take the moment for the app to recognize the code. Not happening. They're for walk-up (and direct mail, magazine, etc.) applications only.

+1 a cell phone camera is unable to focus and read a qr code while moving at any speed. The technology just isn't there yet in phones. Maybe in 15 years but by then something better will already be along.

signswi

In 15 years it will just pop up on your phone as you enter or pass through the area, and by "phone" I also mean through the backend integration of your vehicle into your phone OS. And it'll be in way less than 15 years...

Locals Find!

In 15 years it will just pop up on your phone as you enter or pass through the area, and by "phone" I also mean through the backend integration of your vehicle into your phone OS. And it'll be in way less than 15 years...

I am already working on the integration of videos popping up on your phone when you point your camera at a picture. That is going to be the next new fad in 5 - 10 years

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm thinking in 15 years they will jack it right into the back of your head, hand held phones will be so 2012'ish by then.....

wayne k
guam usa

signswi

I am already working on the integration of videos popping up on your phone when you point your camera at a picture. That is going to be the next new fad in 5 - 10 years

http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/ been out a few years, no one uses it. Keep going, but things that happen without you having to point your phone at something are much more useful, which is why I think geoloc adverts will continue to grow as opposed to optical recognition. We're really sidetracking the thread.