• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR codes - please weigh in

SignProPlus-Chip

Here are my thoughts.

I don't think they are entirely pointless, but I do believe a LOT of people use them poorly and just want them because they have seen them other places, or falsely believe it puts them on the forefront of marketing technology.

What's the point of putting a QR code that links to your website RIGHT NEXT to your web address on your signage or business card?

Why would you add them to a magnetic for a vehicle? Am I supposed to match speed with you on the highway and try to scan it while driving?

I just don't think people understand HOW to use these, if they choose to use them at all.

So what are your thoughts on QR codes?

401Graphics

hahaha i agree with you about having them on vehicles. I thought about putting a huge one on the back of my truck, then thought that i would probly get rear ended by somebody trying to scan it while driving. I do print these things on scrap material, make them about 2" sq. Stick them on random things once in a while if i have them with me and remember to use them. gas pumps, dunking donuts counters, drive thru walls. I have the code go to my business FB page. I think that just having the code with no other information will be more likely scanned, since people will wonder what it will bring them to. I agree that putting on business cards is a bit odd since all of your info is already in he card. (I just designed new cards and did not add a QR code, but i did put small facebook and twitter icons in the corner)

PS. I print the QR codes on Removable vinyl

Tigertron

I have one on the back of my business card that sets up an email to me to request a quote. It's next to a list of services I offer. Also set them up to point to hidden pages on my website for special offers.

Circleville Signs

All depends on how it is used. Linking to your website, etc is simply silly. For some industries it is great (realtors, fashion brands, etc). They should be used to drive specific campaigns, and created with measurable properties.

I've only seen one I stance of them being used on a business card to good effect. When it was scanned, it automatically put the contact info from the BC into the address book of the phone.

Pat Whatley

I don' think a majority of Americans know what they are or bother with them if they do. I rarely see them anymore. The only ones I can remember lately are the ones that are to "LIKE" somebody's facebook page (see http://www.likify.net )

Malkin

Circleville Signs said:
I've only seen one I stance of them being used on a business card to good effect. When it was scanned, it automatically put the contact info from the BC into the address book of the phone.

That's what I did with ours. That said, I doubt anyone had actually used it...

saktrnch

When I first started using QR codes I didn't put the web address nest to the code. People told me that they didn't have a smart phone, but would write the address down and look it up when they got home. So I put a address next to them now.

I have seen things that look interesting, and products that I might want to carry. I scan the code, book mark it and it syncs to the bookmarks on my computer and I can look them up later when I have time.

I also have a code on the back of my business cards that ads my contact information into someone's contact list. They just have to click "save" and I don't have to wonder if they got the phone number and email address entered correctly.

ucmj22

I jumped on the QR band wagon about 18 months ago, and have almost completely jumped off now. When I realized how many QR's I see every day compared to how many I have scanned (2 or 3), I had to ask myself, do people really want to whip out their smartphone and surf a website on said phone.... I dont. There are, however, a few instances where I believe they are much more useful.

Contact information on a business card: it is very convienient to scan a QR and have it automatically add all contact info for someone.

On a flyer, brochure, catalog that goes to specific pages of a website to expand on things in the literature, or link to a youtube video showing product demonstration. on these types of materials people dont feel like they have to do it right then, they can take it home sit in a comfy chair, and when they want to learn more, they can.

Other than that, I think random and general QR usage is pretty useless.

scuba_steve2699

I used to have a QR code on my business card and then I started using cardmunch on the iPhone - it is much better at capturing a card and getting all the info off of it. Every time I have shown it to someone they have downloaded the app and used it.

ova

We have one realtor customer that requests the Code on his big [4x8] signs. It sends people straight to a website for that listing. So far, all the listings we've had to use it on were high end properties.

When we tested it in the shop, it was only effective from about 20 ft away. The code was almost a 10" square. I've never tried going to the property to see if you could scan it while driving passed.

He tried using it on the small arrow signs, but you had to almost be on top of the sign for it to work.

Dave

weaselboogie

I just saw one locally that a realtor used on one of their signs. Apparently whoever made the sign thought the code didn't have enough *bling* so they photoshopped drop shadow and a ridiculous bevel on the code, like each block was almost white on the highlight side. I didn't try it, but wouldnt that make it unscannable?

Dave Rowland

my win7 mobile phone works well with them builtin...

but a tool we bought the other day had a sticker on the box, this linked to a stats link and then straight to youtube of how to use the tool.

Useful?

rjssigns

Once we launch our new website we will use QR's on a specific product. It will drive traffic to the exact web page and give details. If it works great, if it doesn't it is easy to remove. I am not going to dismiss QR's without giving them a fair shot. It may work well in my demographic.
Can't know until ya try.

Move In Media

We have a promotional mailout/in-store poster which uses two QR codes.
http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93181
That code is for in-store end users, which takes them to a client-safe assembly video. The back of the poster, with wholesale pricing for our clients, contains a trackable QR code (by http://www.qrme.co.uk/ check it out, it will tell you when and where it was scanned and will even put them on a map), which allows our clients to download the pdf of the wholesale and suggested retail pricing and the in-store side of the poster, and soon some extra marketing tools, like client-safe product slideshows and instructional videos, small promotional jpegs for each type of product and editable price list pdf in case you want to put in your own prices for your clients..... http://www.jshousedesign.com/MIM/whsprc2009.html

Probably a little too much for a smart phone, but we think should be pretty handy for someone with an iPad or such... There is definetely strong marketing potential in QR codes, especially if you can now track them... Now in retrospect, I probably should have made both QR codes trackable... but le sigh, live and learn I guess.

I just saw one locally that a realtor used on one of their signs. Apparently whoever made the sign thought the code didn't have enough *bling* so they photoshopped drop shadow and a ridiculous bevel on the code, like each block was almost white on the highlight side. I didn't try it, but wouldnt that make it unscannable?

In my experience, the QR readers are pretty flexible, but if they didn't check before actually printing it then they're idiots...

Last edited:

CheapVehicleWrap

Hey I scanned a random QR once and not 2 days later there was a prize patrol van outside with a 2 million dollar check for me. So you never know.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
A QR code with contact information is great to put on a business card.

QR codes can be used for more than merely providing a link to a web site or social networking page. You can have fun with the message aspect of it.

I see little point in placing QR codes in yellow pages ads or on brochures. Smart phones are great, but I still do the vast majority of my web surfing on a real computer. It's a lot faster to open Google Chrome and just start typing the web address (and let Chrome rapidly fill out the rest of the address) and then go.

Some have tried displaying QR codes on LED-based electronic variable message centers. That stunt usually gets a good laugh out of me since smart phones have an extremely difficult time reading QR codes from such displays. The auto-focus sensor struggles to focus on the bright light source and then even if it can focus the effect of moire is liable to screw up how the camera captures the code anyway.
:tongue:

Pat Whatley

Attachments

• aaas.jpg
    aaas.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 112