• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about CNC router vinyls

sar bossier

Hello, all! I have a new client wanting me to obtain vinyl thick enough to be routed through. They will supply the substrate media, and want me to obtain and apply a vinyl (gray) thick enough for a CNC router to then cut through. I don't have, and have never used a CNC router, so I have no clue what to quote as far as vinyl for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thankyou::signs101:

Last edited:

synergy_jim

this is an odd question. thickness has nothing to do with weather or not it routs well or not. do you now if they are doing groove fold applications, or are the just wanting a nice edge when they cut through. If it is groove fold, its probably more like a contact paper like vinyl that allows them to rout through the wood and the vinyl holds the parts together for folding and gluing.

sar bossier

Thanks, Synergy - Knowing NOTHING about this process, They are using "ABS" ? and wanted a clean edge when it is routed. If that makes sense??

J Hill Designs

I mean, I use hi-performance vinyl as face-color for routed PVC letters (ie black sintra w/whatever color vinyl for letters, etc) all the time...not thick, and has clean edge. not getting the 'thick' part either...

sar bossier

Hhhmmm - Now I am wondering as well. I sent them with a sample of Oracal 651 gray, it's 3mil. They asked for 5-6 mil. I wondered the same thing, but not knowing ANYTHING about CNC routers, or what they need, I felt I'd better ask people "in the know." Thanks, Synergy and Jessie! Appreciate it!!