• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

question about LARGE files in Illy

peavey123

The trick is to overshoot...(by a factor of 2) add a schmutz layer of 1%ish Gaussian noise, and down res to your final output.
This will break up upsampling artifacts.

Hey Andy, Can you elaborate on this step for me? What are we overshooting by two here? and what is schmutz? haha This step a photoshop step I take it? I've never heard of adding noise to break-up upsampling artifacts.

oksigns

Hey Andy, Can you elaborate on this step for me? What are we overshooting by two here? and what is schmutz? haha This step a photoshop step I take it? I've never heard of adding noise to break-up upsampling artifacts.

google "dither gradient banding"

also, a multiply or overlay layer of a similar gradient can "break" the banding pattern and smoothen it. You just have the play with the particular gradient.

Also, InDesign does not natively rasterize your artwork and is fine to use- it hinges upon your PDF setting as to how files are flattened or not- even compression!

InDesign handles vector assets in the same way as Illustrator- you just don't have the same level of tools available for manipulation. The bugger in InDesign is that it encapsulates many elements in masks automatically for compatibility versus Illustrators full hands on approach.

Andy_warp

Obviously the techniques to break up artifacts are dependent on the print technology you are using.

We print dye sub, so there are specific areas we target due to known issues.

Note about the schmutz layer...I use a blank layer and do a noise filter with Gaussian blur. (only 1 or 2%)
It's important that you use monochromatic, or you will get multicolored speckles.

It can make your image a little coarse, and may preview a little odd on screen but it really beats ugly jpeg compression and the output may surprise you.
Works well with long gradients as OK signs mentioned.

The newest PS has the option to work on your image with the raw camera toolset.
There are some awesome noise and luminance smoothing tools in it, but must work in RGB.

We've found that even clean indesign exports generate unneeded nested clipping masks, and other extraneous BS we avoid putting through our rip.

You overshoot so your noise shrinks with the pixels, that's why just straight upsampling doesn't work, the artifacts grow with the pixels.

I have found forums like these to be essential in streamlining my workflow, but it helps to work with experienced and talented techs!

Andy_warp

Also, indesign may handle vector objects correctly...but not effects.
It rasterizes them, and embeds them.

We've found this can lead to color shifts, as well as messy production files.

oksigns

Also, indesign may handle vector objects correctly...but not effects.
It rasterizes them, and embeds them.

We've found this can lead to color shifts, as well as messy production files.

That's correct. An experienced designer will know to import a standalone PDF built in illustrator rather than play "hot potato" between the two programs. You just gotta know where the line is drawn between the two.