• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about LED wire

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Can someone tell me a reason to use the Paige Rip LED wiring on channel letters VS just regular 18 AWG stranded wire? I get that it's jacketed for indoor and outdoor use, but if you're extending the wire and it's all in a dry location couldn't you just use regular 18 gauge wire? 500' of Paige Rip is three times more expensive then regular 18 AWG

Compare this: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/PaigeRipStripLEDCable

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
THHN is rated the same but I don't know if you can get it as a paired cable. The cable you linked is UL listed and typically automotive wire like GPT (PVC jacket) isn't as it falls under an SAE standard. I'd assume its 600v vs 60v too and that may be a code issue on a building even with low voltage?

neutrinocv

I'd look at local building codes and go with the cheaper one if it's up to code. Low voltage can be hazardous when used with a battery or magnetic transformer but with a good electronic power supply, risks are next to none.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Why not use direct burial jacketed? Its UL and outdoor rated. That's what I keep on the truck. Its way less expensive.
To be honest I never really paid that close attention to it.

Evan Gillette

I am no electrician by any stretch but came across the same question a while back. From what I gathered, I think the answer is twofold:

1) I believe the Paige wire is listed in SAM which offers some flexibility to non UL registered shops.
2) IIRC the jacket allows it to pass through walls without any additional protection

Don't take any of this as fact, I am going purely off of memory, but look into these two issues for more info.