Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about LED wire

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jun 9, 2020.

  1. Texas_Signmaker

    Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

    Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Can someone tell me a reason to use the Paige Rip LED wiring on channel letters VS just regular 18 AWG stranded wire? I get that it's jacketed for indoor and outdoor use, but if you're extending the wire and it's all in a dry location couldn't you just use regular 18 gauge wire? 500' of Paige Rip is three times more expensive then regular 18 AWG

    Compare this: https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/PaigeRipStripLEDCable
  2. Notarealsignguy

    Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

    Feb 20, 2020
    THHN is rated the same but I don't know if you can get it as a paired cable. The cable you linked is UL listed and typically automotive wire like GPT (PVC jacket) isn't as it falls under an SAE standard. I'd assume its 600v vs 60v too and that may be a code issue on a building even with low voltage?
  3. neutrinocv

    neutrinocv Member

    Feb 17, 2020
    Montreal, QC
    I'd look at local building codes and go with the cheaper one if it's up to code. Low voltage can be hazardous when used with a battery or magnetic transformer but with a good electronic power supply, risks are next to none.
  4. MikePatterson

    MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

    Why not use direct burial jacketed? Its UL and outdoor rated. That's what I keep on the truck. Its way less expensive.
    To be honest I never really paid that close attention to it.
  5. Evan Gillette

    Evan Gillette Member

    Dec 5, 2018
    I am no electrician by any stretch but came across the same question a while back. From what I gathered, I think the answer is twofold:

    1) I believe the Paige wire is listed in SAM which offers some flexibility to non UL registered shops.
    2) IIRC the jacket allows it to pass through walls without any additional protection

    Don't take any of this as fact, I am going purely off of memory, but look into these two issues for more info.

Share This Page