• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about old vinyl

camposg619

Hello everyone!

So I was gifted a few "scraps" of oracal vinyl that were being used on a 48" machine which I plan to cut in half and use with my
24" plotter. The vinyl pieces are about 3 years old and have been sitting in a hot garage, will I have problems cutting, weeding, and applying this vinyl?

Probably an easy question, just want to know if I should keep it or not.

T_K

They're likely past their shelf life, plus they haven't been maintained in a climate controlled environment like Oracal recommends. (source here)

I would not plan on selling this to customers unless it was short term application.

0igo

just dont use that clear transfer tape when you go to apply and you should be good.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Cutting, weeding, applying should be good. However, the vinyl will not probably stay on long. I had an old roll that I cut a few decals out for my wife's Jeep, and like 3 months later the letters all fell off.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Might be good for political signs with less than 90 days to go.
The vinyl & campaign promises should be falling apart at about the same time.

wayne k
guam usa

decalman

I got lots of old rolls. 3 years is kind of new. I throw it out, after 6 or 7 years.
I would palm it off to small jobs, just in case its a little bad.