• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about paint...

ABWSIGNS

Hey everyone, newbie question here ...

I've got a box truck that needs to be repainted (standard white) before we can apply vinyl graphics to it (oracal 651).

I'm not quite sure what type of paint should be used for the vinyl graphics to stick properly. Does anyone have some insite into this?

I'd also like to know the best type of paint to use for any sign that needs vinyl graphics.

Thank you!

visual800

single stage polyurethane from paint supply house. Use some heavy equipment paint it will be less expensive and give it bout 2 days to dry....that is some sticky junk!

Eric H

Let a body shop do the painting. If your not sure what kind of paint to use your in over your head.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

In the past, I have used Kem-Lustral oil base enamel from Sherwin Williams to paint older box trucks - just the cargo box area. I applied it with a foam roller. It worked just fine and looked good several years later when the trucks were finally traded in. Quick, easy, down and dirty way to accomplish what could otherwise be a big job. Works just fine on an older vehicle that really isn't worth the expense of a body shop paint job.

rjssigns

Maaco, seriously. Just lettered a couple mini-van style taxis that had been painted at the one in the Appleton. They did really nice work. The last one cost $899 out the door and that included some minor rust/dent repair and fixing a windshield leak.

If you are not equipped with a good compressor, decent HVLP gun, good ventilation and most importantly a positive pressure supplied hood DO NOT mess with it. That s**t will kill you, literally. Happened twice in my old hometown. Both times the guy was found dead laying next to his nice paint job. Yup, saved a ton of money right there.