Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about paint...

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by ABWSIGNS, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ABWSIGNS

ABWSIGNS New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Hey everyone, newbie question here ...

I've got a box truck that needs to be repainted (standard white) before we can apply vinyl graphics to it (oracal 651).

I'm not quite sure what type of paint should be used for the vinyl graphics to stick properly. Does anyone have some insite into this?

I'd also like to know the best type of paint to use for any sign that needs vinyl graphics.

Thank you!

Tags:
  2. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    How about using regular truck paint?

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    single stage polyurethane from paint supply house. Use some heavy equipment paint it will be less expensive and give it bout 2 days to dry....that is some sticky junk!

4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Proper prep is just as important as the paint!

5. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Let a body shop do the painting. If your not sure what kind of paint to use your in over your head.

6. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA.......................

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    this.

8. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    In the past, I have used Kem-Lustral oil base enamel from Sherwin Williams to paint older box trucks - just the cargo box area. I applied it with a foam roller. It worked just fine and looked good several years later when the trucks were finally traded in. Quick, easy, down and dirty way to accomplish what could otherwise be a big job. Works just fine on an older vehicle that really isn't worth the expense of a body shop paint job.

9. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Maaco, seriously. Just lettered a couple mini-van style taxis that had been painted at the one in the Appleton. They did really nice work. The last one cost $899 out the door and that included some minor rust/dent repair and fixing a windshield leak.

If you are not equipped with a good compressor, decent HVLP gun, good ventilation and most importantly a positive pressure supplied hood DO NOT mess with it. That s**t will kill you, literally. Happened twice in my old hometown. Both times the guy was found dead laying next to his nice paint job. Yup, saved a ton of money right there.

10. ABWSIGNS

ABWSIGNS New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    thanks guys! I appreaciate all of the good advice!

11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Arlo has the old school answer that still works just fine