• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Question about rounding corners on alupanel

Justine J

Hello!!

We have a new graphic designer at the sign and graphics shop I am employed at and he is unsure about the process of rounding corners.

Would he lay the vinyl on the alupanel and then round the corners or should he set it up the artwork with rounded corners before printing?

shoresigns

I don't know why you would need to put rounded corners in the artwork if they're just going to get cut off by your corner rounder.

You would set up the artwork the same as if you weren't rounding the corners, i.e. include your standard bleed, print and apply to the alupanel, trim off the bleed, then round the corners.

shoresigns

I agree, just make sure that if the design includes rounded borders and you use a mechanical corner rounder they match up with your corner rounder

That advice only applies if you're using a corner rounder with a variety of die sizes. Many shops just have a single 1/2" radius die that they use when round corners are needed for safety, and you can't line up an inset border with a 1/2" corner.

For example, if you're planning to use a 1/2" corner rounder on a sign and the design includes a border that's inset by 1/2" and is 1/4" thick, go ahead and round the border to a radius of 0.75" or 1.25" or whatever you feel looks good. It doesn't have to line up with the 1/2" corner rounder, because slight differences look like mistakes; large differences look intentional. That's a core principle of design.

2B

if you are rounding the corners, make sure the proofs sent to the customer for approval shows the radius amount and what the sign will look like.