• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about sales and Aluminum and Max-metal sheet purchase

Dennis422

Hi everyone. Getting my first big order of a signs on aluminum or a max-metal substrates.
When you purchase them and need cutting, do you order them pre-cut from a supplier or you cut yourself (one shops that can cut them).

I do not have access to the cutting tools for that big of a sheet so I would need to order them pre-cut.
Does your supplier charge you extra for cutting them?

Thanks

d fleming

I would imagine you can order them pre-cut and yes, pay a premium but, if it is a substantial order why not purchase a cutting solution for your future projects that require it. My panel saw when I first opened was one of the smartest investments I made.

Shadowglen

What size do you need them cut to? Most vendors charge to cut. I was running in to the same problem last year and also had a sizable job come up. The job was profitable enough to warrant investing in a stomp shear. That job is a memory, but I use this the shear least twice a week. I buy bulk max metal and sheets of aluminum with free shipping from Grimco when it goes on sale and cut 90% of my blanks in house. I have cut up to .080 aluminum and it also does a fine job on coroplast. If you have the room you will not regret this purchase.

This is the one I picked up.

http://grizzly21-px.rtrk.ca/products/52-Sheet-Metal-Shear/G5772

2B

depends on the supplier,

we can get as many straight lines cut as we want for free.

having the ability to cut in house a MAJOR PLUS, while panel saws are very handy just be aware that when you start cutting the ACM sheets that black core goes EVERYWHERE unless you have a very good dust collector
we have really liked the dust free vertical cutter, allows the material to be cut closer to the vinyl and no after cleaning of the surfaces

If you have the room a shear would be a the suggested route over a vertical cutter IMO

Dennis422

Thanks guys.
Right now, any cutting contraption is out of the question. I'm home based. Just started looking for a shop recently.
Will definitely get something down the road.
This order is for 29 panels, 27 cut and 2 whole. Straight cuts.

BTW, all taken care off. Supplier will cut and deliver.

S'N'S

I had stuff stacked in front of my guillotine the other days, so couldn't use that and didn't want the mess from using a saw, soooo .... did the score and snap on an 8 foot sheet of ACM and it cut beautifully, then dissected the 2 8x2's into smaller panels the same way.
If cutting across sheets(4ft), it snaps really easy.
When scoring, I do a light cut and then 2 hard cuts, make sure the cut line is right on the edge of the bench and snap down......try on a scrap, works great.(always use a new blade)

g&eprinting

This & This

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 55
  • LASSCO_CR50B_corner_rounder_ (1).jpg
    LASSCO_CR50B_corner_rounder_ (1).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 58