• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question about sharpening Router bits

Chops

I operate a Gerber Saber 404 CNC router. I have noticed that when cutting things such as aluminum and acrylic that having a nice new sharp bit makes a world of difference. Yeah I know big surprise. I saw a product call the Drill Doctor and it was for sharpening bits. I called them and they informed me that it was not really meant for router bits. I have seen diamond plated files for sharpening bits but wasn't sure if this would be a good choice. I thought that something that could give me more life out of my bits would be great. I do understand that by sharpening bits i would loss some diameter. There is really nothing we do at the shop that is too precise. So I figured I would ask the great minds on here for advice. Thanks

J Hill Designs

I wouldn't do it - if you filed one side down even a micron more than the other, it would add a huge amount of chattering etc, which would break the bit or damage the subtrate...I am fine with paying $30-$70 for a precision-engineered tool...

G-Artist

I was a machinist for quite a number of years before entering the sign and graphics trade.

Bits can be resharpened but best left to professionals who have the knowledge and the equipment.

In your case it isn't a DIY proposition. Heck, even in the shops I worked in (and we did
aerospace work) we had a tool crib and two folks in those cribs whose sole job was to
resharpen tools be it for the lathes, milling machines, drill presses, whatever.
It is somewhat specialized work.

You may have a local machine shop who could properly sharpen the tool bits you have.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
OK, here's a different opinion...
I haven't treid to sharpen anu cutters for our cnc router, but I have many times resharpened tungsten-tipped bits for the hand-held router.

It's a matter of keeping the fine diamond file dead flat against the face of the tungsten insert. I don't reduce the diameter at all (well not appreciably).
We do a lot of hardwood routing, and the freshly-edged bits really make a difference. Especially if touched-up before they get bad enough to make you wish you'd done it sooner.

I have not noticed any unexpected vibrations, and it's worked for us for over 10 years...

Yes, leave it to the professionals, but if you have some ability, and 'common sense', and gear, you can have a try yourself, at your own risk. Take care. Lots of it. I'm not recommending anyone try, just saying that we have had no issues doing it, with care.

daveb

General Know-it-all
How much do you charge for router time? $100 an hour? More? How many hours will a bit last? A dull bit can cause all kinds of lost production time, breaking, cleanup.... the bit costs what $20.... just throw the stupid thing away, a new bit saves you headaches and will make your boss happy because you're more productive.:doh:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Fair enough comment.
I am the boss though.
The bits were all bought in the 1980s, in the days when they were very good quality, and expensive. Nothing was was under $45, 20 years ago. Some were $100 or nore. The box full was about $1600 worth, bought one at a time as the jobs paid for them.
The cheap junk you get today which 'looks the same' is definitely throw-away stuff, though. Most modern cheap bits are not even functional, for what we do.

The 4-5 minutes max time spent dressing a bit before a job with the hand-router is worth it, in our scheme of things. It makes it easier on your head, and easier on your arms.
Just like honing a chisel before cutting an important mortise. Our aussie hardwoods, when seasoned, are very tough and hard on bits.

It might not suit anyone else at all, but it works for us. We also happen to be a long way from the nearest shop. I'm hoping these old bits last me another 20+ years.

However the bits for the cnc router are new. Different machine, different process, different set of shop rules.