• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for all of you that run custom profiles

ImagePress

I've been tasked with finding a workflow for our color management and I'm curious how often everyone relinearizes their profiles.

Every roll/skid? Every morning? Once a week? Or only when you see a need?

The answer depends on the amount of control that the user desires, as well as the stability of the printer, it's environment and the roll-to-roll media consistency. I would say in the large-format digital print realm, relinearization is most often a reactionary measure to inconsistencies in output quality over time (referred to as device drift).

dypinc

Usually depends on how critical the color is.

The best way to tell is make a reference print with a broad range of color and subjects right after you linearize and create a profile. Save it an compare it to a new print of the same file with the same setting especially after head changes or roll changes. That will give you a good sense of how much drift you might be getting from printer or media and will help you determine when you need to do that for various printers.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The answer depends on the amount of control that the user desires, as well as the stability of the printer, it's environment and the roll-to-roll media consistency. I would say in the large-format digital print realm, relinearization is most often a reactionary measure to inconsistencies in output quality over time (referred to as device drift).

I think this is probably pretty accurate..... While we use only our own custom made profiles (i1 Pro made using the profile creation in Flexi PM) I only realistically only change them if we actually notice an issue with color or something and even then it is only after ruling out any sort of issues with the printer.